Onboard sound V's Audigy 2

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

As title suggests, is it a case of suck and see?

My mobo is Asus P5QL\EPU, using onboard with Logitech X-530 5.1 never had any problems whatsoever

But now I have just installed Audigy 2 this may or may not sound the same I have no idea

But before I test it out I thought I would ask the million dollar Q. here

All opinions welcome

Thanks

Comments

• hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    IMHO Creative is the devil and their products are over-rated. I have an HT Omega Striker 7.1 card and it's fantastic, hooked up via S/PDIF to my Yamaha reveiver. Sound is very rich and balanced.

Is it Realtek onboard? Realtek is decent onboard audio IMO.

Also, I would ditch the Logitech speakers.

Just my $0.02 bro. Don't hate.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The card will have a better SNR and features but whether it is worth it is subjective. Support for hardware acceleration is no longer in the latest DirectX versions either so you either don't have it or you need games that support OpenAL.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    First impression it sounds just as good, was awesome quality sound anyway so I dont know what I was expecting

hex_omega

"Is it Realtek onboard? Realtek is decent onboard audio IMO."

I think so cant remember, it does have a cool black GUI to change many settings like distance from each speaker if u had somethin like a triangle room, lol. something that Audigy 2 lacks very much its got a simple tabbed menu similar to My Computer properties

"Also, I would ditch the Logitech speakers."

I aint hatin but come on pliz.....have u heard these speakers, there not what ide call hifi speakers but for what I use them for they are perfect

tiersten

"The card will have a better SNR and features but whether it is worth it is subjective. Support for hardware acceleration is no longer in the latest DirectX versions either so you either don't have it or you need games that support OpenAL."

Sorry m8, straight over my head with that one, lol, am not that clued up with PC sound technology, as yet I have never played any kind of instrument on it, a keyboard would be cool one day I wanna make me some bangin dance beats

On the whole, is it still better to offload sound performance off the mobo, or since audigy 2 card was made has audio on mobos come a long was so sound cards like this become redundant, I am only ever gonna run my 5.1 speakers from it, if i go down the route of making music I will upgrade to a much newer sound card

Thanks for ur input guys