Mike Meyers A+ book

timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
For those of you that used the Mike Meyers A+ book, do you have any tips that would help me pass the A+?

I just received the book today and would like to take my A+ in July. There are 27 chapters, so I figure a chapter a day should do it.

Do you guys think I could pass the A+ with this book alone or would I have to get some sort of CBT video training or the examcram book?

I plan on reading a chapter a day while taking notes. I also plan on making flash cards.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    can you pass the exam with one book alone? most definitely. do i recommend it? not a chance.

it is always best practice to use multiple sources for an exam. not only does it help me with study burnout by switching up books and/or videos but it also can help fill in gaps that your main study sources lacks. i find that i learn the easiest through video training and usually spend most of my time there and fill in the gaps with books after. you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with nicklauscombs on this one. I personally used the learnkey video (with mike meyers) and Mike Meyers A+ book. I've heard the Labsim is very good also to supplement the book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I agree that you should use multiple sources...it makes for a much more rounded understanding of the topic.

With regard to Mike Meyers book...I used it to study for that test and found it to be good and worth the money.

Also...Mike is a lurker on the boards here...so if you have any questions post them and there is a good chance that he'll answer...at the very least there are others who would be willing to answer as well.

Good luck to you.
  • digitallyinclineddigitallyinclined Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Meyers Network+ as my only source to study and passed with a 750. I have about 2-3 years of professional IT experience as well but there were still a few curveballs that did not appear in the Meyers text.

I finished the Meyers A+ book, it's a pretty hefty read but I will probably supplement the text with some practice exams. I personally have some trouble applying knowledge that I read to practical questions on a test. I'm generally just not an excellent test taker and am more of a visual learner than a reader so the practice exams help. I'd definitely recommend that in addition to your text!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Meyers Network+ as my only source to study and passed with a 750. I have about 2-3 years of professional IT experience as well but there were still a few curveballs that did not appear in the Meyers text.

I finished the Meyers A+ book, it's a pretty hefty read but I will probably supplement the text with some practice exams. I personally have some trouble applying knowledge that I read to practical questions on a test. I'm generally just not an excellent test taker and am more of a visual learner than a reader so the practice exams help. I'd definitely recommend that in addition to your text!
    If you're a visual learner then I'd recommend you use some sort of Video training to supplement the book. I'm a more visual learner and require either some form of video or hands on to go along with the reading.
    Practice tests are meant more for gaging what you know and what you need to study more thoroughly.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.