Late night ROMMON lesson....

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
Well, I decided to upgrade the IOS on my new routers last night and learned that the DRAM quantities listed beside the various IOS versions are NOT suggestions. icon_lol.gif

I figured that maybe it would still run with less DRAM, just not optimally.

There's no better way to learn than by crashing your router and turning to google...I am now proficient in ROMMON tftp recovery, though! icon_cool.gif
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wait until you do the same thing with a switch... It's even more fun.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    bermovick wrote: »
    Wait until you do the same thing with a switch... It's even more fun.

Wait until you do it with a production switch in a remote office in another state and the CO tech who is there doesn't have his console cable and has to drive 2hrs to get one. crash.gif
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    phantasm wrote: »
    Wait until you do it with a production switch in a remote office in another state and the CO tech who is there doesn't have his console cable and has to drive 2hrs to get one. crash.gif

trump-youre-fired.jpg
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Pretty damn much spartangtr. Fortunately I wasn't the one who did it. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    There's no better way to learn than by crashing your router and turning to google...I am now proficient in ROMMON tftp recovery, though! icon_cool.gif

...Memories...icon_redface.gif
  • jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    Well, I decided to upgrade the IOS on my new routers last night and learned that the DRAM quantities listed beside the various IOS versions are NOT suggestions. icon_lol.gif

That is good experience, I had to do it on a couple redundant 7609's the other night, because I had done it on my e-bay 2600's I felt comfortable doing it on real router's. icon_smile.gif Guess that's why real equipment is preferable to simulators.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

tftp? You don't gain full membership into the club until you have to do an XModem transfer. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    alan2308 wrote: »
    tftp? You don't gain full membership into the club until you have to do an XModem transfer. icon_mrgreen.gif

Yea, I saw that on the same page as the last resort....I was glad to find that the recovery process wasn't that bad (as long as you back up beforehand lol)

I am glad to have real equipment for moments like that, though. If I ever find a position that affords me the opportunity to put my hands on routers and switches, it will make me feel much more confident to have real world experience with tasks like that.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    alan2308 wrote: »

XModem die! See ya in 5 hours!
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    QHalo wrote: »
    XModem die! See ya in 5 hours!

You can cut that time in HALF with ymodem!

Learn by doing, that's been my mantra for years.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

The time didn't bother me. I knew it would be forever so I started it right before going to bed. Everything was fine when I woke up the next morning. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488

Same here, doesn't mean it sucks any less. :D