Copyright Law

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Does anyone know anything about Copyright Law? I'm currently finishing up a book I'm writing and wanted to reference some different technologies, which all have copyrights on them. Anyone know how I can obtain general usage of these things (ie The names RHCE, Red Hat, Virtualbox). I've contacted Red Hat about use of their exam titles, but I keep getting a run around between their PR dept and Legal. icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does anyone know anything about Copyright Law? I'm currently finishing up a book I'm writing and wanted to reference some different technologies, which all have copyrights on them. Anyone know how I can obtain general usage of these things (ie The names RHCE, Red Hat, Virtualbox). I've contacted Red Hat about use of their exam titles, but I keep getting a run around between their PR dept and Legal. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you mean copyright or trademark?

I've been through something similar myself. In speaking with my attorney, you can reference a trademark in the text of a book, as long as you attribute the trademark correctly.

It gets a little dicier if you want to use someone's trademark in the title of a book. Still doable, but dicier.

I would be surprised if the names of too many people's certification exams are copyright protected. However, something like the text of this page: https://www.redhat.com/certification/jbcaa/ clearly is. I would imagine that some of the credentials you earn for passing the certification are trademarked, like CompTIA likely does with its stuff.

Speak to a qualified patent and trademark attorney. If you were in the Dallas area I could recommend a good one.

MS
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I did mean Trademark...as I have an original title. I will have to find a decent attorney then to talk to.