Options

DHCP options

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I just had a practice question that was emailed to me asking what number option would be used to configure static routes.

A. 249
B. 003
C. 035
D. 015

I guessed A, knowing that 003 was for configuring a gateway and that 015 was for DNS.

I'm just wondering if I should expect to actually get a question like this on the real test. I know that it is important to know what options are available, but it seems silly to memorize all of these options and the number that they correspond to. If I should start memorizing numbers, should I work through all of them, or is there only 5 or so that I'll likely need?

If you're curious, 249 is the option for configuring a static routes, and 035 is for the ARP cache timeout. So by the process of elimination I narrowed it down to a 50-50 and got a lucky guess. A good strategy for when you are taking the actual test, if you haven't been doing it already.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't taken this test yet but I don't know if I've ever had a MS question which was quite that straightforward or specific. James Conrad mentioned a handful in the DHCP section of the CBT Nuggets so I'm really only focusing on those. Maybe that is shooting myself in the foot but I don't know if memorizing a huge number of DHCP options by number is worth my time compared to knowing other, broader topics.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Maybe that is shooting myself in the foot but I don't know if memorizing a huge number of DHCP options by number is worth my time compared to knowing other, broader topics.

I was thinking the same thing, and then I found this question.
    Decide what to be and go be it.