where should I host my website

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a couple options for hosting my site,

1) I have a 2MB upload speed at home thanks to a free upgrade from my ISP so I could host it there on Apache, I would just need to get an entry level bit of hardware from somewhere.

2) find a hosting package somewhere, I guess I could pay upto 120 pounds a year for this.

What is the best option here, I'm hoping i'll have a large amounts of hits on the site so I want it to be responsive, although the hosting packages say "Unlimited Bandwidth" they don't say what upload to expect.

Thanks for any help making my mind up on this one
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Hosting providers usually have redundancy, much faster links, and will not fall under high usage (or at least not as quick as a home server on a broadband connection).

If you are hoping for lots of hits, external hosting is a no brainer unless you have an entire core network infrastructure.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cool, I like decisions that don't involve a brain
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've used several in the past. A google search for webhosting should bring up several different possibilities. Read a few of them, and see what they offer for the price.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone got anything good to say about a hosting service in the UK?
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm using hostgator ,i've been with them for more than 5 years they have great prices and excellent support (very fast response) I started with a normal account and now have dedicated servers with them. I used in the past Intemedia.net which was good though but they are in the US as well but a google search should give good reviews about hosting companies in the UK.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use Bounceweb. For $85/year I get a static IP with unlimited disk and bandwidth. It is shared hosting so the extra IP is necessary if you want any kind of legit SSL going on. If you're a SomethingAwful goon check the SAMart to get a coupon code that will save you 40%.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I used to make Postnuke, osCommerce and ZenCart websites as a young teen I used Hawkins Hosting and Neosurge. I don't know any UK specific web hosters.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)