Options

Collins College

sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
A friend of mine is interested in attending Collins College for an AAS in Information Technology... I'm trying to talk him out of it because the degree seems to touch on a lot of random subjects but doesn't appear to go very indepth into them.

Collins College used to offer a somewhat decent Network Technology degree that went indepth into Windows Server and touched quite a bit on Cisco... but this, degree is not worth the $20k they charge for it; I feel like he's better off getting a certificate from a community college than this.

Information Technology

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    For an A.S. or A.A.S. I would suggest community college. No reason to go elsewhere in my opinion.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    For an A.S. or A.A.S. I would suggest community college. No reason to go elsewhere in my opinion.

I'll second that. You could easily pay more for it but you are likely to get the same education.

A lot of AAS degrees touch random subjects and don't get a ton of depth into a single one. That is generally what an associates is for. If you want depth you are going to want a bachelor or masters.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will most likely pay more at the for-profit then a community college. Also you will probably learn the same material and take similar courses. Use the extra money you'll save by going to a community college and study for certifications.

Don't let the flashy, advertising for-profit school get to you.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    It's a for profit college...

You will graduate, but you will be 20k in debt...

I would tell him to look at a state community college which will cost you around 5k...