Practical lab and equipment recommendations

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
Can someone suggest some good practice home labs to do? I have some CCNA equipment, but I'm sure it won't be enough for a CCNP lab. However, I can't break the bank, but I certainly need to do some lab work. Can someone recommend what I would need for a modest home lab?

Comments

• auosauos Member Posts: 186
    At least you need the ROUTER running with 12.4 IOS version (like 3640 or 2600XM), and two L3 switching (like 3550 or above).
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Take the ROUTE first, and save up your money. You can do the entire ROUTE within dynagen/GNS3.

Then purchase at least 1 3550 for ~$250. If you can buy 2 then even better. Couple that with your current equipment and you should be good to go.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Take the ROUTE first, and save up your money. You can do the entire ROUTE within dynagen/GNS3.

Then purchase at least 1 3550 for ~$250. If you can buy 2 then even better. Couple that with your current equipment and you should be good to go.

+1 for this recommendation. Save your money on ROUTE since you can do it all on GNS3/Dynamips. Like Mark said you already have other equipment, just add 1-2 L3 switches to it when you start preparing for the SWITCH exam. You can do a good bit of stuff for SWITCH in Dynamips/GNS3 but not "everything."
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never really liked the emulator stuff. I did try GNS3 and Dynamips before but got tired of it. It's much 'cooler' to have the real stuff. On top of that, you'll never have to second guess yourself because there are times that emulators will throw you off. Though, this is just hearsay. I did encounter a bug that serial interface was just stuck on up/down state even though my configurations were correct. Also, I just couldn't get a decent idle-pc value with my 12.4 IOS for 2600XM. Sometimes, even though I get a decent idle pc value, the next time I use it the CPU utilization goes back to 100%. *shrugs*
    :study: Life+
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Use what you think you will be the most comfortable with. If you like emulators, use them. If you want real hardware, take your time with purchasing decisions and get a good deal on the best and most relevant gear you can find.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Dynamips is NOT an emulator. It's a virtual machine for routers. Just like vmware is a virtual machine for PCs.

The IOS is real, all the routing updates and everything is real, just the hardware is fake.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dynamips is NOT an emulator. It's a virtual machine for routers. Just like vmware is a virtual machine for PCs.

The IOS is real, all the routing updates and everything is real, just the hardware is fake.

Dynamips IS an emulator as it uses software to emulate Cisco hardware in order to run IOS.

Maybe you meant to say simulator?
    That's right. Dynamips/Dynagen is an emulator. Heck, just check Dynagen.org's website and the very first thing you'll see is the description of what Dynagen is.
    Dynagen is a front-end for use with the Dynamips Cisco router emulator.

It says right here as well.
  • auosauos Member Posts: 186
    zerglings wrote: »
    Never really liked the emulator stuff. I did try GNS3 and Dynamips before but got tired of it. It's much 'cooler' to have the real stuff. On top of that, you'll never have to second guess yourself because there are times that emulators will throw you off. Though, this is just hearsay. I did encounter a bug that serial interface was just stuck on up/down state even though my configurations were correct. Also, I just couldn't get a decent idle-pc value with my 12.4 IOS for 2600XM. Sometimes, even though I get a decent idle pc value, the next time I use it the CPU utilization goes back to 100%. *shrugs*

I totally agree with you, nothing best than real gear. I try GNS3 and it is harm my PC with CPU goes to 100%.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Call it whatever just know it saves you money. LOL. I don't ever use GNS3 because it pegs my CPU as well. But, what I do actually do is use GNS3, to "build" the network and make the link connections, then save the file in .NET format, close GNS3 and just run straight dynamips. As long as you have a never machine, that is relatively fast, it isn't that bad. I know the only machine I have actually had success on using it for "larger" emulations is my i7 Quad Core machine that I use at work. icon_thumright.gif Shhhhhhhhh they don't know! Just kidding :P My boss sees me use it all the time. :D
    Call it whatever just know it saves you money. LOL. I don't ever use GNS3 because it pegs my CPU as well. But, what I do actually do is use GNS3, to "build" the network and make the link connections, then save the file in .NET format, close GNS3 and just run straight dynamips. As long as you have a never machine, that is relatively fast, it isn't that bad. I know the only machine I have actually had success on using it for "larger" emulations is my i7 Quad Core machine that I use at work. icon_thumright.gif Shhhhhhhhh they don't know! Just kidding :P My boss sees me use it all the time. :D

It does save you money, I'd give you that. However, with the problems that I've encountered I think I'll stay with the real equipment. Whatever floats your boat is what I'll say. Just stating what I've encountered. Oh yeah, I am using a decent computer running Dynamips/Dynagen/GNS3. The PC is Q6600 based with 3GB RAM. Not the best configuration but it gets the job done.