Studying the 601/602 Vs 701/702!

curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well the 600 series exams has been retired in several countries and will retire globally on the 31st of August!

What would be your advice, I have a 600 series book and would like to study for and attempt those exams before they retire!

I would have about 7 or so weeks to prepare!

Or do you think I should get material for the 701/702 exams and take those instead?

I'm a University Student home for the Summer, I do start a IT Support job/role at the beginning of July at Barclays Capital in Canary Wharf, London!

That will be a Saturday job!

Otherwise i'll have roughly 40 hours a week or more to Study!

As I'm sitting around the house with nothing to do until October when I return to School!

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd go ahead and take the 701/702 as it covers more recent material.
    Go to the CompTIA website and download the objectives. If you can afford it get new study material as it's really hard to fill in the holes for what the 601/602 material wont cover. 7 weeks is more than enough time to study for the A+.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    7 weeks should be plenty. The 2009 objectives upgrade the test to include Vista as the client OS.

Check out ProProfs: Knowledge Sharing Tools & Free Online Education and Professor Messer they have free A+ videos and tests.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    7 weeks is plenty of time if you are motivated. Read your book cover to cover, try some practice tests, and go pass the tests.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your advice, i'll crack on with it!
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    If you already have the study materials for the 600 series and that's what you have been preparing for. Why not take the 600/601 exams? There won't be that much of a change over from 600 -700 series to warrant spending more $$$ to buy new books.

Just IMO
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    700 is just going to throw in vista/7 stuff, and I hear it is heavy on wifi material. Otherwise, much will carry over. And nobody will ever ask you which version you have.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I'm planning on using the 600 series book, as those exams are still available until August 31st, which means I don't have to spend more £'s buying new material! As long as they see CompTIA A+ Certified on my CV surely that will be fine right? I have 8 weeks to prepare!