Non Cert Good Reads

staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just to seperate it from my other post as i am interested in this,

For day to day running of your job do you find any of the oRiley books any good, or any other for that matter. Im looking at amazon and seeing things like

Security Warrior
Amazon.com: Security Warrior (9780596005450): Cyrus Peikari, Anton Chuvakin: Books

Network Warrior
Amazon.com: Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam…

Time Management for SysAdmins
Amazon.com: Time Management for System Administrators (9780596007836): Thomas A.…

Has anyone read this type of book what are your views on them? do you find them useful? Any recommendations.

Thanks for any input.

S

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I read and own the security and network warrior books, Both are very good books. The network warrior helped fill in gaps that the CCNA missed for real world and the security does the same icon_smile.gif

Worth getting them for your library any day of the week.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm probably about 75% through Network Warrior and I think it's really good. The examples are well done and I actually used it to help fill in the gaps on certain topics for the CCNA. I'm happy with it overall.
    :study:
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have Network Warrior and Time Management. Both are worth a read.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Tao of Network Security Monitoring is the best IT book I've read in the last year. If you have anything to do with intrusion detection and analysis this book is for you.

b6zhxf.jpg
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    The Tao of Network Security Monitoring is the best IT book I've read in the last year. If you have anything to do with intrusion detection and analysis this book is for you.

Yea, that looks awesome. I have tons of books I can recommend that are non-cert related. What are you interested in?
  • staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all thanks for the all replies..

i guess its mainly system admin that im interested in.. i don't really deal with any routing switching etc or don't think i will anyway (start next month). so the network warrior maybe wasn't best example, time management one seems like it might be a good idea. Any and all suggestions welcome. Also any on SQL would be welcome as that is where im hoping to end up in the long run..

Thanks again

s
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    staggerlee wrote: »
    Hi all thanks for the all replies..

i guess its mainly system admin that im interested in.. i don't really deal with any routing switching etc or don't think i will anyway (start next month). so the network warrior maybe wasn't best example, time management one seems like it might be a good idea. Any and all suggestions welcome. Also any on SQL would be welcome as that is where im hoping to end up in the long run..

Thanks again

s

I just received my copy of SQL Server 2005 DBA Street Smarts icon_cheers.gif. If you want a generic SQL book, I would check out SQL Fundamentals by Oracle. I'm studying both of these books to have a good foundation in SQL and hopefully land an entry-level DB job (if those even exist anymore).
    Usus magister est optimus
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    tcpip-guide-a-comprehensive-illustrated-internet-protocols-reference.jpg

The TCP/IP Guide: A Comprehensive, Illustrated Internet Protocols Reference

Amazon.com: The TCP/IP Guide: A Comprehensive, Illustrated Internet Protocols…
    WIP: IPS exam
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ASA Configuration
    Amazon.com: Cisco ASA Configuration (Networking Professional's Library) (9780071622691): Richard Deal: Books

Network Management: Its a bit boring for the first few chapters but the rest if ok.
    Amazon.com: Network Management: Accounting and Performance Strategies (9781587051982): Benoit Claise, Ralf Wolter: Books

and of course network warrior like many have said here. Great read, what a great book!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Although many people use this book for an exam, it's not laid out in a cert guide format. It's a must read for anyone who works in depth with BGP. I learned a lot of this stuff the hard way and wish I would have known about this book sooner.

Amazon.com: Internet Routing Architectures (2nd Edition) (9781578702336): Sam Halabi: Books
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are interested in how file systems work Amazon.com: File System Forensic Analysis (9780321268174): Brian… is your bible.
    Decide what to be and go be it.