So I'm working on Net+

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello, I'm new here and see this as a great resource for exam prep. I'm getting my network+ cert soon but I have no work or hands on experience. Do you guys think this is a waste of time? I really want it but should i be getting hands on while I'm preparing? I do have a home network that I myself am in control of. Thanks for any replies!
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Waste of time?? Absolutely not! If you want it go and get it... Also don't discredit your home lab experience as exp. Its all the same. You can always offer your services if you want to branch out and get some more exposure.

Welcome to TE!
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    the CompTIA exams being entry level are geared exactly to people in your situation. plus if you pass it before the end of the year the cert will be good for life. good luck with your studies!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE.

Many will say to save your money and just do CCNA or CCENT. But I don't think anyone here would say that it is a waste of time. Very useful information that covers a very broad scope and will set you up to move onto pretty much any path that you would like.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Very useful information that covers a very broad scope and will set you up to move onto pretty much any path that you would like.

also very useful for getting past HR goons.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to TE.

Many will say to save your money and just do CCNA or CCENT. But I don't think anyone here would say that it is a waste of time. Very useful information that covers a very broad scope and will set you up to move onto pretty much any path that you would like.

I've said this before... It deppends on your objectives. Once I decided to get my MCSE I reviewed A+, Net+ and Server+ but I did not actually take any of the exams. I know that the review helped me a lot in my studies for the MCSE, but adding on another almost $500 to my test taking bill would have been impossible. The MCSE itself being at least $875, assuming no failures. There are many reason to study the objectives for a certification and getting the cert does not need to be one of them.

My point being if you were to study Net+ and then CCENT but only chose to take the CCENT, it would still be worthwhile. It all depepnds on what you want to get out of your study.
    also very useful for getting past HR goons.

and can be combined with A+ to take out your MCSA/MCSE elective exam.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE.

Someone actually has told me that, a few people rather. They said in these words "CCNA has its own implementation of network+ all in one".

Here's the thing, I'm in college and just finished up at the community college and am transfering to ODU for two more years getting a bachelors in computer science, and I also want to get a lot of certs. My dad worked at Verizon Wireless as a Network Manager and had planned on me maybe working with him when I finished college. He died last year(and god do I miss him) unexpectantly and I want to be sure that I'm well prepared for applying. He had gotten a lot of certs, some of which I have in my room in frames. Upon them is network+, so maybe thats why I started here. I still would like to work there and I really enjoy this line of study. I don't want them to think I am owed something at verizon, rather look at what I am worth to the company. I'm assuming my next goal after this is CCNA? Heh, I finished high school in 2007 and I've only had one job and I'm still working at that job in a grocery store -_-. I know theres nothing wrong with that but i've been there working for four years and I'm tired of doing that kind of work. So I'm trying to get my foot in the door. I still live at home and once I get a decent paying job I'd like to make it so that my mom can retire. Thanks for reading. :)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Roll into CCNA after Net+
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I finished high school in 2007 and I've only had one job and I'm still working at that job in a grocery store -_-. I know theres nothing wrong with that but i've been there working for four years and I'm tired of doing that kind of work. So I'm trying to get my foot in the door. I still live at home and once I get a decent paying job I'd like to make it so that my mom can retire. Thanks for reading. :)

I also graduated in 2007. I've worked in 2 retail jobs for about 4 years combined. Not fun.

You just have to get your foot in somewhere. The first job will be the hardest. I was in a work study position for about a year, and have since migrated to a corporate service desk role. I also hope to make enough money to support my parents. Both of them are in dead end retail jobs that they hate. It is hard to get out with only a highschool degree and 20-30 years of retail experience.

Work hard, and your time will come.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found the Net+ to be a useful cert to have. Mike Myer's book is good for this cert. I would go over the exam objectives and make sure you are comfortable with them. Some of the information on this exam is historical and some is memorization, like port #'s, cable specs, etc.
    It also counts as credit for the MCSA as an elective.
  • CertGrabberCertGrabber Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just wondering how your studying is going for you Net+, CodeBlox?

Hopefully you are still pursuing it, or are pursuing another cert?

I will be testing for my Net+ soon so it sounds like I'm in the same boat. I think it's a great idea to get this entry level cert and you should go for it! Once we get this cert it will encourage us to move up to the CCNA and we will have a little background and/or a place to start. Good luck
    Studying CCNP Route

Currently compiling my own home lab. I never knew scouring ebay for routers, switches, and modules could be so much fun!
  • AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use the Net+ to get your feet wet before heading for a CCNA especially with the Comptia lifetime certification about to be running out come 2011. I myself just finished my bachelors degree in Information Technology and have scheduled my network+ for 8/24 and my security+ for 9/24.