Security + exam - reading material

ablakeablake Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which is the best book to purchase to prepare for the comptia security + exam, I have two options from what I can see:-

The official comptia security manual from 2008 at about $60, only available from Comptia from what I can see.

Or

Comptia Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson (this seems to stand out from this website0

I am supplementing notes also from my CISSP course notes.

Thanks

Andy Blake

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    ablake wrote: »

absolutely buy this book.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

Big +1 here. I'm 95% through the book (read in less than a week) and it all makes sense. Additionally, Darril posts on these boards in the Security+ forum. I would highly recommend this book to anyone considering Security+. In fact, I've recommended it no less that 6 times so far to guys at work.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

I've heard so many good things about this book, which is why it is sitting on my desk in the on deck circle right now.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ablakeablake Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have obtained the areas covered by the exam from Comptia - they are as of 2008 - so I assume the layout of Darrils book and the question style reasonably reflect the expected structure of the exam.

Also are the questions in a simple format, or are they written in some complicated manner like in CISSP.

Thanks

Andrew
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security+ is still considered pretty entry level. If you were able to do CISSP it should be a breeze.
    Decide what to be and go be it.