Buying a 3550/3524

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
All,

I need an extra router for my OSPF labs I am running. I thought I might as well buy a 3550 since Ill need the Layer 3 switch anyway for my Switch exam. I just can't remember which models I should be looking at (SMI vs EFI or something like that), I completely forget. It's a lab, so the ports are not a big issue. I would like POE for future voice projects, but no biggie.

Lastly, will the 3524 serve my needs? I understand they are a lot cheaper. As long as it carries me through the CCNP I would be happy.
-Daniel

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Are you thinking of EMI?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    3524 is an old L2 switch. You will want at least a 3550, but a 3560 would be best to get you all the functionality you need.

EMI is what you want. Its the enhanced image that allows the full functionality of routing and probably some other features too that I don't know off the top of my head.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Lastly, will the 3524 serve my needs? I understand they are a lot cheaper.
    The 3524XL-EN are nice little Layer 2 switches, and like the 2924XL-EN switches, make good 3rd or 4th switche in a home lab. I've got a couple in my home network.

And I've got a couple in my Voice Lab to power my IP Phones -- but you have to decide if the cost is worth reducing the clutter of power bricks. Using power bricks is cheaper unless you get a great deal on a 3524XL-EN Inline Power model.

For a Layer 3 3550 switch, you'd want the EMI image -- an SMI model 3550 switch running the EMI image will work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    For a Layer 3 3550 switch, you'd want the EMI image -- an SMI model 3550 switch running the EMI image will work.

An SMI model can handle the EMI image? So this is just something I can upgrade with my CCO account, wow nice.

What would the 3560 offer over the 3550 for the CCNP btw? (mind you I dont fully get what I am asking for yet :) )
    -Daniel
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    An SMI model can handle the EMI image? So this is just something I can upgrade with my CCO account, wow nice.

Yeah, you can use SMI model and upgrade it to EMI image.

You may want to read the EULA before downloading an image using your CCO account. Anyone want to post the meat of the EULA? Never really bothered reading it. I just download code from Cisco as long as I know that we've used it from another site.
    What would the 3560 offer over the 3550 for the CCNP btw? (mind you I dont fully get what I am asking for yet :) )

Better QoS support, PVLANs, and etc.
    :study: Life+
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Difference between Catalyst 3550 and 3560 CCIE Pilot
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    alan2308 wrote: »

Or you could just go to the original source for that document and not support people who rip off other internet posts: icon_rolleyes.gifCatalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Or you could just go to the original source for that document and not support people who rip off other internet posts: icon_rolleyes.gifCatalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE

I didn't realize that was the case. I'll update my bookmark.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Important note, I never got IPv6 to work on my 3550 PWR EMIs, even though it has all the commands. It's almost as if Cisco put the commands in, but there's no real support for it.

I've looked around and came to the conclusion that the 3550 just doesn't support ipv6. Damn you Cisco!