Ethernet Question

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I just started reading the 70-293 MS Press book where it says, "...standard Ethernet
LAN can have up to four hubs, while a typical Fast Ethernet LAN can have only two. Gigabit Ethernet supports only a single hub on a network." Now I know this book may be a bit outdated and these days switches are used over hubs, would this rule apply to switches as well or only to hubs? And is their a limit on number of switches on a network for Ethernet? So far the beginning chapter seems pretty boring I feel like I'm back in my Networking 101 class in high school talking about the OSI layer etc.

thanks,

win2k8

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have never heard of any limit on the number of hubs. I don't think you would be stopped from adding too many, I think its more of a suggestion. If you stick too many hubs on your network you are going to be creating a lot of collision domains.

Sticking with switches is a better options. Your data transmission will still be slowed down if it has to pass through 25 switches, but I don't think it is something that a human would really notice.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    An Ethernet hub is actually a multiport repeater - i.e. it regenerates the signal. Because of this, there is a limit to how many segments you can have. This is also speed dependant. 10Mb is 5 segments (4 hubs) and 100Mb is 3 segments (2 hubs). It's all to do with the timing and the ability to detect collisions. As for Gigabit - this is point to point - so no CSMA/CD.

HTH.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    An Ethernet hub is actually a multiport repeater - i.e. it regenerates the signal. Because of this, there is a limit to how many segments you can have. This is also speed dependant. 10Mb is 5 segments (4 hubs) and 100Mb is 3 segments (2 hubs). It's all to do with the timing and the ability to detect collisions. As for Gigabit - this is point to point - so no CSMA/CD.

Exactly. Performance just degrades. You could probably do more, especially if you're just testing something like two PCs pinging each other across a dozen hubs. In practice, something like that wouldn't be usable for any real network.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    If you stick too many hubs on your network you are going to be creating a lot of collision domains.

No, you'll still have a single collision domain. That's the problem.
    dynamik wrote: »

No, you'll still have a single collision domain. That's the problem.

What I meant to say was that you will create a lot more collisions, and your network will spend all of its time resending data than doing any work.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Wow, how old is that exam book?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-293): Planning and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network Infrastructure

Author Craig Zacker
    Pages 992
    Disk 1 Companion CD(s); 1 Evaluation CD(s)
    Level All Levels
    Published 08/27/2003
    ISBN 9780735618930
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Only proving once more that it is time to retire the MCSE icon_lol.gif

*Hides and waits for the tomatoes to be thrown icon_twisted.gif*
    Only proving once more that it is time to retire the MCSE icon_lol.gif

*Hides and waits for the tomatoes to be thrown icon_twisted.gif*

They could just update the test with current standards. But why would they bother, MCSE is already on its way out.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not throwing tomatoes, but the majority of the networks I see are still predominately (if not exclusively) 2003. I still see hubs in production too.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm not throwing tomatoes, but the majority of the networks I see are still predominately (if not exclusively) 2003. I still see hubs in production too.

Oh, I agree with you on that. We are still using majority 2K3 servers at work. I'm talking about getting rid of a certification path that is plenty old by now. I'm sure I will be using 2K3 in some capacity for many years to come.
  • Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    They are actually keeping the MCSE exam up to date!! I sat the 293 yesterday and got a question referencing Windows 7 as the client computers in a scenario. Actually the fact it was Win 7 made not a blind bit of difference to the answer and I suspect until last year XP was used. But it does mean they are 'upto date'!

As for Hubs and segment limitations - this will never change - it's IEEE 802.3 - regardless of the current (or not) versions of a Microsoft NOS.
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    Actually the fact it was Win 7 made not a blind bit of difference to the answer and I suspect until last year XP was used. But it does mean they are 'upto date'!

90% of the information that they give you in a question rarely gets used. They just want to give you everything so that it doesn't give away what road they are trying to lead you down.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    There are many MS subjects on the 293 that aren't used by a lot of companies or even that their IT staff are aware of that's available. It's foundation and good to know however. I also had some newer OS/tech info thrown into the test when I last took it, so at least they are trying to stay somewhat current. I think that the OP's study material might need to be updated, 2003 is quite a bit ago.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!