which cert first ?

ITRajuyITRajuy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently I am going to school and in my first year and getting my associates in IT. I wilI get my bachelors in information systems security. I know that getting a certification would help me in the knowledge area because I have no IT experience. What is a good certification to start out with. I know that getting certs could help me earn money, I just don't know which one to start with. I was hoping some of you with certs can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Rajuy

Comments

• Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suppose I'll be the one that says it...

CompTIA A+
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with Warsh1p. It'll be a great start for IT certifications.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Third for suggesting A+ to start out with. After that I would look into Net+ and Sec+ as a solid foundation. Just my .02.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    Third for suggesting A+ to start out with. After that I would look into Net+ and Sec+ as a solid foundation. Just my .02.

4th. I agree with all of whay phantasm said.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Comptia exams are pricing but a great start!!!!
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    I'm going to vote for CCENT
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jovan88 wrote: »
    I'm going to vote for CCENT

icon_cheers.gif
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • ITRajuyITRajuy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Warsh1p wrote: »
    icon_cheers.gif
    Just wondering why you and Jovann picked CCENT over CompTIA A+?confused.png
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am going to vote A+. It is a great foot in the door certification. The CCENT may open some entry level networking positions but I think it would be few and far between comparably. Net+, Security+, CCENT/CCNA would probably be good ones after that, depending on what you trying to do.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like most everyone else, the A+ is a great place to start (yeah I didn't start there, but I'm getting there, icon_razz.gif). Also, set yourself a career path, ask yourself questions like: "What do I want to do within the IT field?"

That question alone will give you a good idea of where you should start and where you should go afterwards. CompTIA exams are basically entry level basic knowledge exams that prove you have a basic understanding of the material, so vendor specific (MS or otherwise) certifications later down the road could definitely help boost your resume when you do that job searching after your degree and first certs.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I nth the A+ as a good starting point. Since you're new to IT it will give you a good foundation and maybe help you spark an interest in a deeper technology. I don't know if trying to pick your area of focus right now would be a great idea so keeping it light and general would be for the best. Once you get into topics in your classes or cert study then you will see what you have a passion for.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Networking certifications

I found in the help desk environment, you can really get noticed for having networking skills. Infact we had a rookie just recently get promoted to the WAN group because of those skills. He had a good understanding of TCP/IP. The only cert he had was a CCNA.

My vote is for networking. It will help you land a helpdesk job or higher and can get you promoted faster. A+ will not help you progress through the company in my opinion.

It's all about return on investment. If I am interviewing two candidates and one has a CCNA and the other has A+ and both are rookies, it's going to come down to people skills. Once you are in the door the networking will take you much farther.

Again it's just my opinion.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Networking certifications

I found in the help desk environment, you can really get noticed for having networking skills. Infact we had a rookie just recently get promoted to the WAN group because of those skills. He had a good understanding of TCP/IP. The only cert he had was a CCNA.

My vote is for networking. It will help you land a helpdesk job or higher and can get you promoted faster. A+ will not help you progress through the company in my opinion.

It's all about return on investment. If I am interviewing two candidates and one has a CCNA and the other has A+ and both are rookies, it's going to come down to people skills. Once you are in the door the networking will take you much farther.

Again it's just my opinion.

While I agree with you, a CCNA and no experience will not help you get in the door. An A+ will get you in the door, then work on the advanced certs and work your way up.

Before anyone asks, all I have is a CCNA. I've been in a NOC for 18 months and prior to this worked for a medium sized company (earned CCENT there). Certs were no good at my old job, at my current job, a CCNA is beneficial. I went straight for the throat because I had experience to back it up.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    While I agree with you, a CCNA and no experience will not help you get in the door. An A+ will get you in the door, then work on the advanced certs and work your way up.
    QUOTE]

Agreed!

Start with A+ then move upwards
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A good foundation will get you further in the long run in the IT industry, be you in networking or desktop support or server administration. A+ will give you generic information that will help you EVERYWHERE you go, so I would pursue that one first.

Network+ is a great certification for those wanting to dabble in network technolgies, but are unsure if they want servers, cisco, microsoft, linux, or any of them. It allows you a similar foundation that A+ gave you, only more specified in network technlogies.

Then pursue an entry level certification in the field you have grown to love. If you choose cisco, CCENT is a great one to start with. You will find the topics much easier after you have all the foundations down.

Then after that entry level one, move your way up the certification ladder.

My 2cents
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136

Agreed. And the OP should get those before the end of the year, so they will not "expire".
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the A+ and Security+ are a good foundation. I don't really think that the Network+ is worth much. ROI is very important to keep in mind when deciding on certifications. If you want to move into Network Infrastructure than work on Cisco, if servers that start working on Microsoft or RedHat/Linux.
    shon541 wrote: »
    Agreed. And the OP should get those before the end of the year, so they will not "expire".
    I am sure that I can get the A+ cert before the end of the year but If I am not able to get the security+ and net+ before the end of the year (finances) how lond are these two good for?Are there any study guides that you could recommend for me to use for my A+ cert?
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    ITRajuy wrote: »
    I am sure that I can get the A+ cert before the end of the year but If I am not able to get the security+ and net+ before the end of the year (finances) how lond are these two good for?Are there any study guides that you could recommend for me to use for my A+ cert?

As of January 1, 2011, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications are valid for three years from the date the candidate becomes certified
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680

They are good for 3 years, so it won't be a huge deal if you just can't get it done. CompTIA certs are quite expensive, but they are good for getting you into the field. Maybe the A+ will be able to get you a decent paying job which can then pay for the other two?

Good luck
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    This is what i would do:

Phase 1
    A +
    Security+
    Network+ (Optional of going Cisco Route) - Do it for Sure if not going Cisco route

Phase 2
    CCENT -> CCNA
    or
    MCITP:EA

Phase 3
    CCNA: Security followed by CCSP

or
    MCTS: Hyper-V, MCTS: SCCM, MCTS: SCOM
    followed by
    MCITP: Virtualization

Phase 4
    CEH
    CISSP
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Personally I do find CCENT a better replacement over Network+ , but it does require a lot more studing ...

Its like a Network+ on steriods, and you got half of your CCNA out of the way, if you ever want to persue it..
    asurania wrote: »
    This is what i would do:

Phase 1
    A +
    Security+
    Network+ (Optional of going Cisco Route) - Do it for Sure if not going Cisco route

Phase 2
    CCENT -> CCNA
    or
    MCITP:EA

Phase 3
    CCNA: Security followed by CCSP

or
    MCTS: Hyper-V, MCTS: SCCM, MCTS: SCOM
    followed by
    MCITP: Virtualization

Phase 4
    CEH
    CISSP

I like the way you think, but that is highly personalized plan and it all depends on what he wants to get into.
    I like the way you think, but that is highly personalized plan and it all depends on what he wants to get into.

Agreed. There are a thousand different approaches you could take, and this is only one of them. Find something that you enjoy and then just go with it.

While devising a long plan can be good to keep you on track, you also have to flexible and allow that plan to change when needed.
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with a lot of guys who posted CompTIA A+ even though I don't really think it is worth the money that you pay for the cert. You can definitely skip the Network+ and go straight for CCENT/CCNA. That is if you want to pursue the Cisco stuff. If you want to go for MS certs then I believe they still credit it for a certain cert that they offer. Security+ is always nice to have, especially this year because of the no expiration thing. Is it worth it? Maybe. I'll never know but it sure looks like it is a "must have" cert for some government jobs.

Pick wisely. Enjoy the certification pursuit. Don't try to get them all. Just pick one that actually matters.

Just my 2 cents.
    :study: Life+
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Currently I am going to school and in my first year and getting my associates in IT.
    What are your options for Classes that lead to Certifications (and maybe a job after graduation)?

Where do you think you'll go for your Bachelors -- and will they accept any of the courses that lead to Certifications to apply towards their Bachelors Degree?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    skyline wrote: »
    As of January 1, 2011, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications are valid for three years from the date the candidate becomes certified
    Skyline Thanks for the response.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What are your options for Classes that lead to Certifications (and maybe a job after graduation)?

Where do you think you'll go for your Bachelors -- and will they accept any of the courses that lead to Certifications to apply towards their Bachelors Degree?
    Well currently I attend UoP because of there military following. I just found this site a few days ago and seeing what people are saying about UoP, I did a little research (a little late) and decided that I needed to get a cert because the UoP program is not supposed to be recongnized. I dont know how true this is because I dont have a degree to show on my resume to HR. As far as where I am going for my Bachelors, I will do my research on this but I dont think a brick and mortar school is in the works because I work a flex schedule.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    They are good for 3 years, so it won't be a huge deal if you just can't get it done. CompTIA certs are quite expensive, but they are good for getting you into the field. Maybe the A+ will be able to get you a decent paying job which can then pay for the other two?

Good luck
    So how expensive are they. I will self-study to keep the cost down. I have seen exams from $95-$225. Does this seem right?
    So how expensive are they. I will self-study to keep the cost down. I have seen exams from $95-$225. Does this seem right?

Test costs vary. CompTIA tests are generally in the $200-$300 range, each one is a little different. Microsoft tests are pretty much $125 across the board.

You can also use sites like getcertify4less which can save you 10% or so, but those vouchers expire within a month or two, whereas buying directly from CompTIA the vouchers won't expire for a year. A lot of tests can be prepared for with just a book or two. You can also make use of this wonderful free site too.

Edit: Just looked it up.

Each A+ test is $168 from CompTIA. So for both tests it would be $336 plus study materials.
    Net+ is $239, but only requires the one test.
    And Security+ is $258, but again only one test.

Upfront they can seem expensive, I don't know anyone who can throw $250 around without batting an eye, but they will pay for themselves. With A+, Net+, and MOS 2007 I landed myself a service desk job which nearly doubled my salary. They easily paid for themself the first month or two of my new job.