Updating Resumes: Titles & Positions

2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
My question is when it comes to updating your resume how do you handle a position/title change with the same company at the same job?

Would you create two separate entities on your resume?

My case: I was originally hired on as a Mechanical Engineer working on the Satellite/transmission link side of the house. However my boss recently informed me that because of my interest in IT & iniative I've shown at getting certified I'm being laterally promoted to Computer Systems Analyst. Slightly higher pay bracket and I'll be covering some network/system admin work in addition to my regular SATCOM duties.

I'll like some input from other people who've been in this kind of situation and how you approached it on your resume.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    personally i would separate those jobs on my resume.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Same here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    +1

Keep them seperate.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you could do that or just add a note in beside the current position if this was a promotion. if you changed departments all together then i agree creating a new part for this position would be correct
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□

Agreed. I consolidated positions on my resume but in every case, I was performing the same functions in the new position as the older ones, just with a couple of extra responsibilities. Sounds like yours are 2 distinct jobs so you would benefit if the experience of each was highlighted separately.
    :study:
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely separate them. Both of those jobs would be advertised separately if they were trying to fill the positions. That's my definition for how to handle such a situation. At one of my previous employers I went from tech support to engineering which were two different jobs. As a result I separated them. This format has many benefits. The primary benefit is that it displays a wide skillset. Second, it shows that you're capable of developing internally, sometimes taking on completely different roles from what you were initially hired to do.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I guess the only time I wouldn't separate them would be if you worked in a position for like 2 months and then moved to a different one. Doesn't make a lot of sense to take up precious room with a job that you barely did.

But then that also depends on what other experience that you have on your resume. If the next job down is working at McDonalds, then keeping the two month job isn't a bad idea.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    IMO... I would definitely show it as two separate entries on the resume. It shows others who view your resume, that you were valued in that company, and as such, was offered a higher position with added responsibilities, because of that.
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    IMO... I would definitely show it as two separate entries on the resume. It shows others who view your resume, that you were valued in that company, and as such, was offered a higher position with added responsibilities, because of that.

This is a very fine point mr gross alcohol for a user name :)
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, how many pages are your resumes? After this update its gonna be three full pages.
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As mentioned by others, you really have to separate them. I've been to four different positions in my current company. Starting from the very bottom (non-IT) and all the way to our Network department.

My format is like this:

XX/XX - Present Title A (XX/XX - Present)
    Duties here

Title B (XX/XX - XX/XX)
    Duties here

***Format is messed up in here, but I think you get the idea***

Please let me know if this is a wrong format so I can change it.

My resume is only two pages. I could easily make it three pages but do not want to. Was told to keep it two pages only. *shrugs*
    :study: Life+
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I somehow managed to mash mine onto one page. If I have to add one more line to it though, I'm done for.
    :study:
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2E151 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many pages are your resumes? After this update its gonna be three full pages.

Some how I keep it to three careefully aloted pages...

On the other hand... I would normally use an ending position, not the begining position. Then again I am cramming 19 years on mine... so that may just be my consolidation. It is what most of my peers seems to do out here though.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    2E151 wrote: »

I keep mine at two pages not including cover letter.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I cut mine down to fit 2 pages. 3 pages is kinda long. You should be able to convey you basic history in 2 pages and can always elaborate in a cover letter or in an interview (if you get that far.)

BTW 2E151, I sent you a PM. I was a 2E151 from 1994-1997.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
    Mine is one page but I use two columns to make it hold more. It works well.
    pbosworth@gmail.com