Need help to fix my computer

alphalixalphalix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I have two computers but one of them start to give a headache. When I power on my computer I have hear a static noise come from the pc and i have a black window on my screen. What i did, i clean up the dust inside the pc and noting change. then I decided to remove the hard drive and power on my pc again then i can see the boot sequence start and no static noise. When i put back my hard drive i have a static noise and a black screen again.

Any help would be relay appreciate

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    alphalix wrote:
    Hi
    I have two computers but one of them start to give a headache. When I power on my computer I have hear a static noise come from the pc and i have a black window on my screen. What i did, i clean up the dust inside the pc and noting change. then I decided to remove the hard drive and power on my pc again then i can see the boot sequence start and no static noise. When i put back my hard drive i have a static noise and a black screen again.

Any help would be relay appreciate

Thanks a lot.

When and why did you decided to go inside? Or was the static noise present before you opened it up? The OS at this point doesn't matter if you cannot boot, but I am curious which OS are you using. What where you (or someone else) doing just prior to the system acting up? Installing drivers, new games, downloads, etc...

Go down to bare necessities:
    RAM
    CPU
    Video

start adding back components from there
    HDD
    CD
    Sound etc...

If you cannot boot with RAM, CPU, Video, you can try changing each of those parts out unitl you have success.

Could be some sort of EMI leak that is emitting through your on-board speaker (if you have one).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • alphalixalphalix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the os is win98 and i never had this noise before. The static noise come from the pc itself. Prior that noise i was in the internet i did install anything. At first i thought that was a virus. I also put an other hard drive which work well and i still have the same noise. when reboot it without the hard drive i have not static noise
  • +CNENT++CNENT+ Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried a different ide cable?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    alphalix wrote:
    the os is win98 and i never had this noise before. The static noise come from the pc itself. Prior that noise i was in the internet i did install anything. At first i thought that was a virus. I also put an other hard drive which work well and i still have the same noise. when reboot it without the hard drive i have not static noise

Are you using a modem in your computer?

I've had this humm before and I was thinking about it, but haven't had it for years -but I also hardle ever work with a modem (everyone is using broadband).

Have you been able to remove all the components as I suggested leaving yourself only
    RAM
    CPU
    Video

Do you still have that static? If not one at a time add your other components back to narrow down the problem.

It could be from a cable, but the only way to find out (in a low tech manner) is to remove ALL non-essential components, cards, etc... (extra ram if you have multiple sticks you could go down to one - however, it shouldn't be a ram issue).

RAM, CPU, Video - see what happens and post back

Thanks
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • alphalixalphalix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    I finally fix the problem. At the power supply the voltage was at 230V instead of 150V.

windows start perfectly. Thanks all of u for your help.

Alex
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LOL. That would've been a tough one to troubleshoot via forum convo. icon_lol.gif
  • paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    I now have something else to add to my trouble shooting skills!
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson