Options

Monitoring and Utilization

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings!

My new employer has requested that I start a network study to see how much and what traffic is flowing to where from where and when. I know I can use wireshark for raw packet traffic but I was looking at something like MRTG to graph out network. For monitoring I was looking at Nagios. Time is as big of a deal as money. We are trying to do this for little or no cost. This is going to go directly to my manager so we can know how much we need to update are bandwidth. Any suggestions?

Found this list as well:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nmtf/nmtf-tools.html[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Nagios and Cacti are the best free tools for this in my opinion. there is a bit of a learning curve since its all open source but there is a large community out there for support.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Nagios is a great tool. Once you get it setup and configured right that is.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    skyline wrote: »
    Nagios is a great tool. Once you get it setup and configured right that is.

I was leaning towards Nagios. It doesn't look easy to setup however but I can do it at home first.
  • Options
    im getting ready to start a nagios and racid setup. if your servers are virtual you can always clone it when you get it working right.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    im getting ready to start a nagios and racid setup. if your servers are virtual you can always clone it when you get it working right.

I would probably have a physical *nix box for our monitoring. We should have several spares opening up very soon. This won't happen for a little while though as I have to get the QoS and switch configs ironed out. So much to do....
  • Options
    the lab manuals for bcmsn are really good for QoS. do you have a lab at work you can mess around in to get everything ironed out?
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Just my gear at home. I might pick up a 3550 just to work with. Thanks for the suggestion for the bcmsn lab manual. I also been told that the QoS book is pretty decent.