CiscoKits 12U Home Rack

tengutengu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Has anyone tried the 12U Home Rack Stand from Cisco Kits? I have quite a bit of equipment and this looks to be a perfect and *cheap* option to rolling or full post models. My concerns are the picture makes me question if the rack could indeed manage the weight of 6 routers/switches, followed with making it look like the equipment would sit at an angle. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nice find, now I want to get one.

I would not be worried about the routers and switches causing issues on the rack (under the 6 limit they gave) as long as they are mounted near the bottom half, and not the top of the 12u. I have been looking for a rack that is small and cheap, since I'm tight on a budget.

Good find. I'll certainly be getting one.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'd expect that rack to be okay so long as you're only racking small 1U devices. If you shove in a 3660 or a 3550 into that then it'd probably be too much.

If you've only got 6 devices then you can just stack them :P
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're gonna add more stuff to your lab then its probably better to invest in Skeletek rack.
    :study: Life+
  • tengutengu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ordered this on Amazon and saved a couple bucks. Hint: musicians use this kind of equipment as well. For right now this should be perfect for a small pod and I can change up configurations pretty easily. Having a kid and living in an apartment make larger racks out of the question. See ya in a couple days!
    I've considered that rack before. I also saw the same rack from Amazon or Musicians Friend for less. CiscoKits is way overpriced. I changed my mind and went with Skeletek because my Cisco gear grew from three 2500s (back in CCNA days) to eight routers and four switches - still in progress.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had this rack before... although it states 12U, its actually a lot less because of the angle in which its installed. The closer you get to the bottom, the less equipment you can fit. I think I had 2 2500 routers and 2 2924 (2U) switches and that was it. The real total was 6U, but because of the depth of the 2924s, I wasn't able to get much else in the rack... I had to upgrade to a skeletek rack! That's just my thoughts!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If you're going to put any weight in that thing, I would just suggest getting a Skeletek rack instead. Worth the investment in the long run even if it's more expensive. That thing looks janky as hell.
    I had this rack before... although it states 12U, its actually a lot less because of the angle in which its installed. The closer you get to the bottom, the less equipment you can fit. I think I had 2 2500 routers and 2 2924 (2U) switches and that was it. The real total was 6U, but because of the depth of the 2924s, I wasn't able to get much else in the rack... I had to upgrade to a skeletek rack! That's just my thoughts!!

-Peanut

I knew it's gonna hit the ground once you start putting switches and routers that stick out more than the 2950s. That's one of the reasons why I didn't buy that rack. Besides, look at that thing it looks really flimsy.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

-Peanut

+1... they are a rip off.. I just received mine and I am contacting the seller for a refund... I think it could hold the weight, but you can't utilize all 12u's
    CCNP :study:
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    +1... they are a rip off.. I just received mine and I am contacting the seller for a refund... I think it could hold the weight, but you can't utilize all 12u's

In it's defense, it does say up to 6 units on the site. You probably wont get a refund for that reason.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    alan2308 wrote: »
    In it's defense, it does say up to 6 units on the site. You probably wont get a refund for that reason.

well I ebay'd it ;)
    CCNP :study:
  • tengutengu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I settled with one from Amazon made by On-Stage, 12 U as well. It does not use tubes, instead uses a pretty strong construction. Mounting from the bottom up has yielded 3 routers and 2 switches. I did not want to put the other switch on just yet and my access point needs some mounts. This piece comes with some rack screws ready to go. I had to play around with the positioning of everything due to having different mounts but I have plenty of room left. The equipment does have a slight slant at the back of the units, but touch a bit and maintain their weight well. Even with just five devices, this setup is heavy! I am thinking about putting casters on there so I can wheel it from place to place.

All-in-all it was a great deal for the money and I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to spend the cash for a skeletek or that has room constraints.