Options

DNS help needed

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Ok supose I have the following set up

two networks

network A 192.168.1.x/24 (prvt range)

network B 45.62.56.0/24 (public range)

Both networks use the same windows 2003 DHCP server to get addresses.

I also have two windows 2003 DNS servers.

what i want is

On DNS server X, I want both recourds from network A and network B, I also want both Clietns from network A and B to use this DNS server.

On DNS server Y I only want Network B clients, and this will be a public facing DNS server (it actuly is not public but will be used by remote sites)

both clients in network A and B use the same suffix pc.example.com

I hope that makes sence.. So how to? :)

Cheers

Aaron
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phantasm wrote: »

How is that ment to help? Thats just settign up standard DNS. which I have done many times.

What I want to do is split some of the DNS recourds of to a second DNS server, but keep all clients in the same domain.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    How is that ment to help? Thats just settign up standard DNS. which I have done many times.

What I want to do is split some of the DNS recourds of to a second DNS server, but keep all clients in the same domain.

Ah OK. I misunderstood, I'm a BIND guy so let me see what I can drum up.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would change the suffix and create 2 zones. Zone A can be for network A which can be internal.pc.example.com and Zone B for network B can continue to use pc.example.com

Now server X will have both zones, while server y will host only the one.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but this seems the easiest for me.
    Decide what to be and go be it.