Soccer World Cup

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
As the vast majority of this board is from the US, I was wondering if you guys are following the Football World Cup. (Not like a US "World Series" where only US teams play... but a real "drawn from all continents" event)...

You should be. Your US "soccer" team have just come top of the group with the UK coming second.

In the US, do you guys follow it ? Do you care how well you team have done ?

In the UK this afternoon, almost the whole of British industry closed down just so staff could watch the match. My own boss phoned me at lunchtime, asked me if I had anything planned this afternoon and then ordered me to go home and watch the match.... Sweet! The fact I was already packing up to bunk off early when the call came in makes it all the more sweeter!
Kam.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, I hate football.

Soccer and Hockey are at least enjoyable to watch and I've been reading up on The US Team and I heard on the radio they won just before Lunchtime.

SO, very good for them and it would be nice to see sport with more action take off in this country.

I however, do not own a TV and cannot watch such things, but I have been reading up on their progress.

Many locals are into the game, but they are rooting for another Country ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Soccer is a little too boring for me, kind of like baseball. Just not very much going on for much of the game. I'm more of a football or basketball kind of guy.

As far as following the World Cup, I keep myself up to date on if the U.S. wins, but I haven't watched even one second of play. I could care less where the other countries end up. I'd like the U.S. to win it all for country pride reasons, but not much other interest in the game.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    You should be. Your US "soccer" team have just come top of the group with the UK coming second.

Watched the first half of US vs. Algeria before leaving for work. Was bummed about it being a tie at that moment.

I should be happy that they ultimately won game and group, but I wanted more. I would have really rather we got two wins and a tie instead of two ties and a win.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    dynamik wrote: »

yew knew that would wind me up icon_sad.gif
    How you know that would wind me up being from US ?
    Kam.
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    Major repppppingicon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

US....icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Wins the group after being robbed of not 1 goal in one game but 2 goals in 2 different games...

Now vs. Ghana who won against us in 06 on a phantom pk call.
  • historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am tired of the soccer games interrupting the vuvuzela concerts!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »

I clicked that at work and the page was blocked. Kind of glad that it was now and wish that my home network had done the same.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    As the vast majority of this board is from the US, I was wondering if you guys are following the Football World Cup. (Not like a US "World Series" where only US teams play... but a real "drawn from all continents" event)...
    Toronto is in the US? And you guys say WE suck at geography.... :P

In the UK this afternoon, almost the whole of British industry closed down just so staff could watch the match. My own boss phoned me at lunchtime, asked me if I had anything planned this afternoon and then ordered me to go home and watch the match.... Sweet! The fact I was already packing up to bunk off early when the call came in makes it all the more sweeter!

A lot of people here don't follow it but i love football. People in the states don't seem to realize that the only two sports that matter (specially internationally) are hockey and football.

Hope this doesn't violate rules but: http://atdhe.net/

tis the only way i'm able to watch world cup / hockey / AHL / european hockey / sports in general.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    A lot of people here don't follow it but i love football. People in the states don't seem to realize that the only two sports that matter (specially internationally) are hockey and football.

Oh they definitely realize. We hear it from people around the world all the time. We just don't care what the rest of the world finds important. We have our own sports. Nothing wrong with that.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I was watching the game on ESPN3 yesterday online and when we scored the goal I jumped up was screaming, looked around, and realized I work at a software development company and I was the only person in the office who cared.

Sometimes working in IT can be a drag...I love sports.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I was watching the game on ESPN3 yesterday online and when we scored the goal I jumped up was screaming, looked around, and realized I work at a software development company and I was the only person in the office who cared.

Sometimes working in IT can be a drag...I love sports.

hahaha poor sod. Ahh well be happy in the knowledge you are clued up on the greatest sport event in the world. Just don't bring up the fact you beat us to top spot in the group stages icon_rolleyes.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

People in the states don't seem to realize that the only two sports that matter (specially internationally) are hockey and football.

Yeah those silly Yanks and their multi-billion dollar sports that the rest of the world wants to play (whats up Basketball and Baseball). We sure don't get sports down here what with two of our national sports being incorporated into the Olympics and all. Has it donned on you that maybe because we don't like what you like that its still okay? I'm sorry that I live in the south where hockey doesn't mean anything. It doesn't get cold here. Too bad. I've been in Atlanta where an NHL team resides and met people who didn't even know a team was in that city.

Here is what soccer has wrong with it:

1.) There is a general acknowledgment that officiating is awful (Tommy Smith states that off-sides calls are like 50/50 at best. There is not an effort to fix this, as its considered "a part of the game." It blows me away that any sport doesn't embrace something such as replay which can improve the true outcome of a game. If an umpire or referee can directly influence the game what's the point of playing it? If America was bounced in the first group play because of two blown calls on valid goals would that really represent the true and deserved outcome of the tournament or just highlight the incompetence of FIFA?

2.) Low scoring is the norm. I don't have a problem with 1-0 all the time. If baseball was all 9-10, 10-13 type games it would be bad also. What makes baseball tolerable is the fact that for every 1-0 game there is another that's 3-5 or something similar. I think in America we like resolution. To your point, I think hockey actually has the best overtime in the world. Sudden death brings out the best in the athletes. I personally find zero interest in watching at least 90 minutes of coverage to wind up with a draw. The rest of the world may find that interesting but I don't have a problem saying I don't.

3.) People annoyed by vuvuzelas need to get a life. It's a horn. I find it less offensive than highway traffic and we all deal with that. If a vuvuzela is enough to set you off you have bigger problems.
    Pash wrote: »
    hahaha poor sod. Ahh well be happy in the knowledge you are clued up on the greatest sport event in the world. Just don't bring up the fact you beat us to top spot in the group stages icon_rolleyes.gif

We should have beaten you guys by two more points over-all, too ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Yeah those silly Yanks and their multi-billion dollar sports that the rest of the world wants to play (whats up Basketball and Baseball). We sure don't get sports down here what with two of our national sports being incorporated into the Olympics and all. Has it donned on you that maybe because we don't like what you like that its okay?

Here is what soccer has wrong with it:

1.) There is a general acknowledgment that officiating is awful (Tommy Smith states that off-sides calls are like 50/50 at best. There is not an effort to fix this, as its considered "a part of the game." It blows me away that any sport doesn't embrace something such as replay which can improve the true outcome of a game. If an umpire or referee can directly influence the game what's the point of playing it? If America was bounced in the first group play because of two blown calls on valid goals would that really represent the true and deserved outcome of the tournament or just highlight the incompetence of FIFA?

2.) Low scoring is the norm. I don't have a problem with 1-0 all the time. If baseball was all 9-10, 10-13 type games it would be bad also. What makes baseball tolerable is the fact that for every 1-0 game there is another that's 3-5 or something similar. I think in America we like resolution. To your point, I think hockey actually has the best overtime in the world. Sudden death brings out the best in the athletes. I personally find zero interest in watching at least 90 minutes of coverage to wind up with a draw. The rest of the world may find that interesting but I don't have a problem saying I don't.

3.) People annoyed by vuvuzelas need to get a life. It's a horn. I find it less offensive than highway traffic and we all deal with that. If a vuvuzela is enough to set you off you have bigger problems.

Mostly agree. Sure, Football penalties can often be overlooked and it is part of the game, but football also gives the opportunity for the coach to challenge the play to do a review.

The low scoring doesn't bother me much, hockey is also pretty low scoring but is still enjoyable to watch. What gets me is the fact that the game can end in a tie. I don't want to sit in front of the TV for an hour, to watch a game end in a 0-0 or 1-1 tie. Just makes the whole experience seem worthless.

I bet some serious consideration is going to be made in the coming months about implementing instant replay. With the whole snafu in the US slovenia game and there was also some issues in a brazil game. If they just turn the other cheek fans could very easily abandon the sport. I certainly wouldn't support a sport that has the belief "Yeah, the wrong team might have won, but we don't care."
    The tie comments are interesting and while a game maybe should have a winner and a loser, a draw is acceptable in chess (and this isnt' ment to start a war on chess not being a sport...merely an example).

Sometimes in life we don't win and we don't lose, so maybe sports that are played well can end as such too?

Time limit is set for the game, all parties are aware of the time...play your best to score more then your opponent (or keep them from scoring at all).

And while culturally I think in the US you'll see conscensus that a tie 'sucks', a tie doesn't seem to 'suck' so bad when you are the team 0-1 and you are now in the 4th quarter, 1 minutue to play and you score...so small reward for not permitting your opponent from obtaining a 2nd goal.

The ranking points are split between the two (tied) opponents to represent that they are maybe more equal (or at least on that day) rather then...winner gets all and a team such as (say Cubs or perhaps the Tigers) when they hit their losing streak...there is no measure to show they 'can' play...they just cannot bring the score home.

I don't see it as necessarily bad, just different and maybe some games should merely end and that's it. All go home and it's Win; Lose; Tie and if you "WANT" a Win then the team needs to play in such a way to not make it a close win, but a definate win.

FWIW

BTW - doesn't soccer have a sudden death? Seem to recall our high schools getting to kick 5 penalty shots, 1st goal in wins....or is that only certain leagues?
    Plantwiz
    _____

Plantwiz wrote: »
    The tie comments are interesting and while a game maybe should have a winner and a loser, a draw is acceptable in chess (and this isnt' ment to start a war on chess not being a sport...merely an example).

Certainly a tie is fine for regular play, but is a tie still acceptable when you are in the playoffs (or The World Cup).

Someone above mentioned sudden death. This is a great way to end the game. Fun for the players, even more fun for the fans.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Certainly a tie is fine for regular play, but is a tie still acceptable when you are in the playoffs (or The World Cup).

Agreed. Just like regular season football games can end in a tie and thats fine. They still give the teams ample chance to set a clear winner. Something that is being played on the world stage where every game can be a deciding factor needs to have a clear winner and loser IMO.
    I think that's just the point of games or sport in general. You can't tie in monopoly for a reason. Sure some games and sports permit ties but that doesn't mean its generally the best way to go about things. The NFL has a provision for ties in the regular season and the last time it happened was in 2008 between the Eagles and the Bengals. Nearly all players involved felt that they were cheated out of resolution, be it winning or losing. They put all of that work and effort into it and it just doesn't feel like there is a conclusion when that is the result.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Yeah those silly Yanks and their multi-billion dollar sports that the rest of the world wants to play (whats up Basketball and Baseball). We sure don't get sports down here what with two of our national sports being incorporated into the Olympics and all. Has it donned on you that maybe because we don't like what you like that its still okay? I'm sorry that I live in the south where hockey doesn't mean anything. It doesn't get cold here. Too bad. I've been in Atlanta where an NHL team resides and met people who didn't even know a team was in that city.

Eh, i'm American and i live in the south east. There are 4 pro hockey leagues that have had teams operating in the south east since the early 90s or so (NHL, ECHL, AHL,SouthernPHL).. Not to mention the various junior, AAA/AA, rec/adult/college leagues that serve the south Just sayin.. some of the most watched /played international sports are football (soccer) and hockey. We should pay more attention to them. Oh, and pro hockey does not tie anymore. Over time then shootout.
    Oh they definitely realize. We hear it from people around the world all the time. We just don't care what the rest of the world finds important. We have our own sports. Nothing wrong with that.
    speaking of that, Greenville is getting another ECHL franchise, make sure you go get tickets!

Just sayin.. some of the most watched /played international sports are football (soccer) and hockey. We should pay more attention to them.

Why? Just because other countries like them? That seems kind of stupid to me. Whats next, every country should eat the same food? I'm not eating any dog!
    some of the most watched /played international sports are football (soccer) and hockey. We should pay more attention to them.

Why should I be inclined to pay attention to something that doesn't captivate my attention simply because the rest of the world does it?
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    Why? Just because other countries like them? That seems kind of stupid to me. Whats next, every country should eat the same food? I'm not eating any dog!

eh, its not like there isn't tons of the stuff here in the US (at all levels). People seem to dismiss them for essentially no reason.. which is stupid. Some people say soccer is boring but watching a bunch of guys standing in one spot on a baseball field is interesting (or better yet, driving in circles)? lol football (american) is cool but it'd be a lot better if it had a longer/tougher season.

ust sayin.. some of the most watched /played international sports are football (soccer) and hockey. We should pay more attention to them.

That is ridiculous. Would you tell an elderly person who has lived for 80 years without a computer, and has no desire to use one that they should learn how to use a computer just because the rest of the world uses one?

If people like certain sports, feel free to watch the ones that are enjoyed. If you don't like any sports, thats fine too. Everyone has their own past times.
    eh, its not like there isn't tons of the stuff here in the US (at all levels). People seem to dismiss them for essentially no reason.. which is stupid. Some people say soccer is boring but watching a bunch of guys standing in one spot on a baseball field is interesting (or better yet, driving in circles)? lol football (american) is cool but it'd be a lot better if it had a longer/tougher season.

I think baseball is boring too so I don't watch that either. What sports I watch depends solely on if I find it interesting or not, not who else is watching it. I love to watch curling, even though that's not a big sport in America (is it popular anywhere?). Those guys with the brooms rocking it makes for some good entertainment! I like tennis and golf also which are pretty big on an international level. Soccer just doesn't do anything for me.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not that I'm a football fan but Baseball is practically a non-entity internationally for competitive play (You might see it played for laughs or at school a bit), Basketball is more popular but not by much (esp. in Europe). It may be lower scoring but there is always more action than American Football, which absolutely bores me to tears....group up, charge for ~7 seconds (in armour, with the ball IN YOUR HANDS), get dropped wander around for a minute as you get into position..rinse, repeat. At least with soccer they are constantly in play and using more skill than it takes to just pick it up and run with it icon_wink.gif

<Insert Flame here>
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    I could run around and kick a ball as a two year old, it didn't take much skill. Now throwing misshapen leather ball thats not even meant to fly 30 yards with pin point accuracy, now thats skill!

Take that soccer fan!
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    ... I love to watch curling, even though that's not a big sport in America (is it popular anywhere?). Those guys with the brooms rocking it makes for some good entertainment! ...

I find Curling strangely fascinating to watch. No idea why
    Kam.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I am surprised that we haven't got the WC topic opened from day one. But I guess better late than never.
    I couldn't agree more on the PaulBoz's bad oficiating point. You have the option of challenging ref's call in any major professional sport, yet for a world event of this magnitude where so much is at stake not only for the teams (yep, wars were declared and athletes assasinated as a consequence of a WC game) and with the huge $$$ soccer business had become, you just can't challenge ref's call?! I hope the nixed US goals will ignite something towards the instant replay.
    Having lived in the US for a number of years I can understand the weak interest in soccer by the general population, kids at school that play soccer don't have the professional soccer teams league they will look up to and imitate (the "monkey see monkey does" factor) or at least "inherit" the passion for the sport from parent(s) at home. So passion for soccer remains mainly the immigrant's (and those "natives" that caight the soccer virus) thing. I live in a city with significant latino and european population but with no successfull MLS team or anything similar to an organized soccer franchise on any level so majority's passion for soccer isn't translated into a successfull franchise. There is passion for soccer in the US, it just isn't going towards US soccer.
    I am optimistic about US national team advancing to quarterfinals as it is a team that played a long time together and many of them are at the pick of their carriers. For the tournament overall, I am thinking about Holland- Argentina in the finals. Both teams seem just unstoppable.
  • AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You guys all make some interesting points about soccer and comparing it to other sports. The great thing about having numerous and different kinds of sports is that we can all pick and choose which ones we like :)

I have a mutual respect for just about all sports but please do not undermine the amount of skill soccer requires... networker :p

Kicking a soccer ball when your two is nothing compared to what the national team's skill is... In addition to the amount of skill the sport requires, your average professional midfielder (Donovan) runs the distance of about 6-7 miles with one stop in a full 90 minutes...

If you want to see the amount of skill just youtube some videos of Pele, Henry, Ronaldinho, Kaka, C. Ronaldo, Beckham, Messi... Hell even goalie videos are sick, Petr Cech, Buffon, Howard.

Also the World Cup does not start as a playoff. Their finishing up group play right now which is qualifiying for the playoff or otherwise referred as the Knock Out stage(Win or Go Home). In the Knock Out Stage, if there is a tie at the end of 90 minutes the game moves into two 15minute overtime halves. If there is still no winner, Penalty Kicks decide the game.

GO USA! :)