Issues With Using Remote Dial-up, pcAnywhere, and VPN...

BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
Hello my fellow TechExamees!

I seem to be having an issue at work and was wondering if I could get some assist from all you people out there. Here's what's happening...

The company I am currently working for has given many of us the ability to work from home. This means that in order for us to access the network we need to log on via VPN. We also have the capability to remotely dial into HP/Compaq EVO units and control them via pcAnywhere (don’t ask why but this is the RC software that my company uses). Whenever we have to connect to these systems for remote support we have to disconnect from VPN in order to run pcAnywhere on the EVO unit.

Now while we’re in the office (not on VPN) we are able to connecct to any system via dial-up and pcAnywhere with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS. But as soon as someone working from home tries to dial-up into these systems to run pcAnywhere they must always log off of VPN.

Is there a way to get around this in where both a VPN and a dial-up connection can run simultaneously? I have been given the task to find out why this is happening and I’m stumped! Just so you all know both systems in the office and the systems at home run the same image and they’re both running P4s. Help!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever

Comments

• gabilangabilan Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try to updating PC anywhere or verify with the people of pcanywhere if there is a problem with the software to run over vpn connections.

Try using VNC this the program we use in my job to manage PC remotely and is free. icon_idea.gif
  • BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    Unfortunately, our Business Unit uses only pcAnywhere. It is annoying! Just now I received a call from an end user who was having some sort of error message after downloading some things. I had to disconnect from VPN and then dial-up and then run pcAnywhere. Is there some sort of settings that we can change to allow the 2 connections to run simultaneously?
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    If you are on VPN, that means you are connected to the LAN correct? So if they are connected to a LAN and so are you why do you have to use dial up in the first place. Doesnt PC anywhere have settings to use it on a LAN.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    So, let me get this straight....You are VPN'd into your network and getting an internal address that way. Now you want to connect to a server in the same network, so you use dial up and PCAnywhere. So, now on your local computer you have "two" paths to the same network.

I can see where this would cause a problem. This would also explain, why you can pcanywhere, when the VPN is down.

Can you get them to allow the PCanywhere traffic (the correct ports) across the tunnel. If you could do this, you wouldn't have to dial into the servers...all traffic would be secure through the tunnel.

Let me know if I misunderstood the situation.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    If you are on VPN, that means you are connected to the LAN correct? So if they are connected to a LAN and so are you why do you have to use dial up in the first place. Doesnt PC anywhere have settings to use it on a LAN.

hmm..How did I miss this one before I posted...man I need to get some sleep. icon_lol.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    I do apologize for any confusion guys. Let me see if I can clarify my situation…

I work for a Healthcare company in where we set up OUR hardware in their offices (HP/Compaq PCs, Okipage printers, label writers, etc.) in where if they call into our department with problems we can dial into those units via dial up and remote control them via pcAnywhere. Now if we are in the office we can establish a connection on the LAN and via pcAnywhere simultaneously with no problems. We also have the ability to work from home via VPN. Here is the problem that I am having…

When working from home (connected via VPN) and we get a call from a doctor’s office stating that some drivers are corrupted and need to be replaced, we have to disconnect from VPN FIRST in order to dial into the unit at the doctor’s office (at this moment we don’t have the ability to remote control via GoToAssist or WebEx). If I were to try and dial into the unit WHILE connect to VPN it will not even dial out. It’s not until we disconnect from VPN that we can establish the connection via dial up and pcAnywhere. These units are not on the network AT ALL but we can dial into them for access to that entire box.

Is there a way around this or is there something in the settings that needs to be changes? Ports are set up correctly.