Passed Network+ Today

Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
I took and passed the Network+ Exam today with a score of 852. The overall test was not too bad - 100 questions and most were very short answer. I think the total test time for me was around 45 minutes.

The test seemed to cover pretty much every part of the objectives. I would recommend knowing your cabling, routing protocols, troubleshooting commands, the troubleshooting steps and definitely the OSI model and what protocols and hardware work at each level.

I used the Mike Meyers book and the Lammie book. Both helped a great deal. I also used the Selftest software for this test.

Overall my recommendation is to download and learn all of the objectives (good advice for any CompTIA exam). There were a couple of WTF questionsicon_confused.gif:, but overall they seemed to follow the objectives fairly well.

Good luck to everyone preparing for this exam.

Comments

• rwells87rwells87 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    was there anything you used to gauge your readiness or just a gut feeling?
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    CompTIA actually had a full practice test on their website, and then I used the selftest software and a free test off of Preplogic to gauge my readiness. When I get to the point that I know 80% of the practice questions with no doubt, then I figure I am ready - because I know that I can probably 50/50 the remainder of the questions...

The material for this test was not that hard - there was probably more memorization than learning in some areas.

Taking the Security+ before this was a BIG help on all security related questions and protocols, etc...

I will say that there were about 20 tricky questions on the test. You had to really read the whole question carefully to get the gist of what they wanted. There was some very interesting wording on some questions.

Bottom line is learn the objectives and then see as many practice questions as possible. Good practice questions help a great deal.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass. Last time I was looking around CompTIA's website I only found about 10 practice questions. I'll have to take a look for a full test when I prepare for Security+. Thanks for the tip.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I went here:

Sample Questions

When I filled out the screen and selected Network+ I ended up on a screen that gave me a timed 100 question practice test. Not sure if this is the same case for Security+?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.