N+ or MCDST?

Which certification is better after attaining the A+ Certification?
Ribs still touching....

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Which certification is better after attaining the A+ Certification?

What are you IT goals?

Are you sticking with Hardware/helpdesk?

Or are you going into Network Admin work (or do you do that already?)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    What are you IT goals?

Are you sticking with Hardware/helpdesk?

Or are you going into Network Admin work (or do you do that already?)

My degree is old, I'm looking to get into I.T and stay in the field for a while.

My degree is in Computer Network Administration (AS)

I have the A+ and I had a couple temp jobs basically doing PC Support.

I was told the N+ sucks and the MCDST will stand out more but with my degree being in Networking knowing a little about Networking will be better to people.

I'll get the N+.
    Ribs still touching....
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did Net+ next and thought it was a good test.

Oddly enough I have heard that the MCDST doesn't pull much weight. I still want to get mine because it is another cert to add to my resume, and I'm at the point where everything helps.

If you get the Net+ this year it lasts for life. If you skip it and then decide next year that you want it, you will need to recertify every 3 years. So if you are on the fence as to whether you want it, I personally would play it safe and get it. But there really is no wrong answer, everyone takes a different path.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    My degree is old, I'm looking to get into I.T and stay in the field for a while.

My degree is in Computer Network Administration (AS)

I have the A+ and I had a couple temp jobs basically doing PC Support.

I was told the N+ sucks and the MCDST will stand out more but with my degree being in Networking knowing a little about Networking will be better to people.

I'll get the N+.

AH YES, my friend Scott...I recall our past conversation now.

So are things turning around for you now? icon_thumright.gif

If the NET+ "sucks" why are you going to get it? And, please refresh my memory with why your degree is 'old', and what that means? Perhaps it is my age, but I thought a degree was a degree (there may be different criteria to obtain a similar degree...but once earned, one is free to claim it)??
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    AH YES, my friend Scott...I recall our past conversation now.

So are things turning around for you now? icon_thumright.gif

I'm still at the same weekend job I been at for a while now, I've been apply to pretty much any job I can get at this time.

My degree is from 99. I need more experience on my resume and I'm doing more certs and trying to expand my skillset.

If the NET+ "sucks" why are you going to get it? And, please refresh my memory with why your degree is 'old', and what that means? Perhaps it is my age, but I thought a degree was a degree (there may be different criteria to obtain a similar degree...but once earned, one is free to claim it)??

I'm still at the same weekend job I been at for a while now, I've been apply to pretty much any job I can get at this time.

My degree is from 99. I need more experience on my resume and I'm doing more certs and trying to expand my skillset.
    Ribs still touching....
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1999 is certainly not old. Many people have been using degrees from the 1970's and 1980's with no problems.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Point taken, the degree isn't old, as a matter of fact the degree will maintain it's value if it's from a decent school.

I'm concerning with upgrading my skills and getting good certs.
    Ribs still touching....
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You sound like you're coming up with a good plan, Scott. With your degree and throw in another cert or 2 and you should have more luck landing a desk support or helpdesk job. Just don't count on sitting in front of your computer filling out online applications to get you a job, though. You need to get some copies of your resume on good paper and take them to places that have IT departments. Even if they're not hiring right now your resume has a better chance of being seen if it was hand delivered than if it was just delivered online.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCDST is mainly for those looking to get a help desk/desktop support job, it actually doesn't carry a lot of weight by itself but combined with others it'll help you if that's what you want.

Network+ combined with your Network degree should hold a bit more weight than just the MCDST and your degree. And a networking job overall is better than a help desk job, but it's ultimately up to you on what you would like to do though.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
    earweed wrote: »
    Just don't count on sitting in front of your computer filling out online applications to get you a job, though. You need to get some copies of your resume on good paper and take them to places that have IT departments. Even if they're not hiring right now your resume has a better chance of being seen if it was hand delivered than if it was just delivered online.

I realize that.. sitting on these job boards don't bring much luck.. I assumed they're more geared toward more experienced professionals since you don't see many entry level jobs posted online.
    Ribs still touching....