One shot, one kill

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Shot the beast down this morning with a 914! I couldn't believe the score when it popped up, I actually thought I was going to score in the high 700's. Of all the MS tests that I have taken, I studied for this one the most.

These were my resources:
  • CBT Nuggets - used this first before reading any books
  • MS Press book - didnt read the whole thing, only chapters that I needed improvement on like DNS, IPSec, and RRAS
  • DNS On Windows Server 2003 - every admin that works with Windows DNS needs this book!
  • MCSE Core Required Exams in a nutshell - the exam prep section was very good
  • tbgree00's notes - thanks for these, they were a good refresher and filled in a few sections
I still can't believe I passed!

Next up is Security+ but not until the end of July, I need to take a break because my brain hurts from studying :)

I'll be enjoying my pass at the beach tomorrow icon_cheers.gifdrunken_smilie.gif

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the great score!
    Looks like you went in well prepared and kicked the beasts butt.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats on the great score!
    Looks like you went in well prepared and kicked the beasts butt.

Having my CCNA experience really helped because of all the IP and Subnetting material.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome. Congrats on the pass. It's totally unfair that you blew my score out of the water though. Seriously though I am glad the notes helped at least a little.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Congrats on the pass and the good score!
    I wish I was near a decent beach icon_sad.gif
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Awesome. Congrats on the pass. It's totally unfair that you blew my score out of the water though. Seriously though I am glad the notes helped at least a little.

I scored a 720 on 70-270 and 725 on 70-290, so I promised myself that I was going to do better on the 291. My wife was actually getting upset that I was spending more time studying than with her :)
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz on the pass and excellent score!

Now, go enjoy your time on the beach (with your wife!) :)
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I scored a 720 on 70-270 and 725 on 70-290, so I promised myself that I was going to do better on the 291. My wife was actually getting upset that I was spending more time studying than with her :)

I get that a lot. Next time she says something, reply with this.
    Wives come and go, but an MCSE is forever (at least according to Microsoft).

It will either get her off you back, or get you in more trouble. Usually gets me into more trouble.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□

I am in a similar boat. I actually failed my first attempt at the 680 and the 290 by very slim margins. I ended up with 800+ on the second shots. I didn't want to go through that again so I studied a lot harder than I ever have before. My wife constantly reminded me about how bad I felt when I failed and kept encouraging me to study. Then she went and played Animal Crossing. Maybe she just encouraged me to study so much because she wanted me off the Wii...
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
    Oh yeah, note to Microsoft: Leave the routing and remote access to Cisco icon_lol.gif

I hate RRAS in Windows....
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh yeah, note to Microsoft: Leave the routing and remote access to Cisco icon_lol.gif

I hate RRAS in Windows....

It is a big subject. I kind of like RRAS. Not sure I will do well on the exam. There are 5 nuggets on RRAS along. DNS I think only had 3.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • J.QJ.Q Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! All your hard work really paid off. You killed that test.
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Having my CCNA experience really helped because of all the IP and Subnetting material.

I was hoping that would be the case, that I would have a bit of a head start on some of it.
    I've just started studying for 291.
  • thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! I'm using tbgree00's notes as well and they're very helpful.