AD Migration from 2003 to 2008

tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
Anybody done this? Also has anyone use ADMT 3.2, as it was recently released, just wondering if it makes it any easier?

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    ADMT is primarily for moving from domain to domain. If you are moving to 2008 from 2003 you can keep the same domain, and just introduce 2008 DC's and then decomission the 2003 DCs.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is really straight forward. A lot of step by step manuals out there. You don't need that tool.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is really straight forward. A lot of step by step manuals out there. You don't need that tool.

It depends if he's just adding a 2008 DC to his existing domain or if he's migrating to a 2008 domain (which would be significantly more complicated).
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    So are you adding a 2008 server to your existing domain, and decommissioning the 2003? If so, you probably just need to look at transferring over your roles to make the new server the GC server. Not very difficult, we just did it at our place. Along with all the other stuff of course like DNS, DHCP, etc... Microsofts website, and several blogs out there will walk you through the process.
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I was actually more concerned with the global catalog than anything, as im not taking any of our 2003 servers out, just making the new 2008 the primary box. They will come down eventually, but just wanted to get the catalog taken care of. Getting it (server 200icon_cool.gif in our AD etc wasn't difficult, im just now getting back around to making it the GC, and it was actually much easier than I anticipated.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    As long as you prepped the domain properly before adding a 2008 DC you shouldn't have any issues (domainprep, forestprep)

Once you do remove the 2003 DC's I highly recommend changing over to DFS-R
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Our 2003 boxes are going to be in place for at least another year, just waiting on funds to get them swapped out. I still have a couple (2) of 2000 boxes that are in the same boat, waiting on funds, but they will obviously be gone first.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Our 2003 boxes are going to be in place for at least another year, just waiting on funds to get them swapped out. I still have a couple (2) of 2000 boxes that are in the same boat, waiting on funds, but they will obviously be gone first.

This should be pretty easy for you then. Basically the same as adding another 2003 server to your domain.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Once you do remove the 2003 DC's I highly recommend changing over to DFS-R

Agreed. Huge improvement from FRS.