CCENT Booked, Need Some Sim Pointers

Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
I have my CCENT booked for the 16th of August (first free day after my current contract ends)

I have a pretty good Lab, I have all the CBT's and some books and am studying about 3 hours a night with weekends off. I am getting on with the theory and am feeling pretty confident about my progress with one exception...

One thing I am not too confident about are the sims, what type of command line configurations should I be focusing on? or are they going to be anything and everything?

Some non NDA breaking pointers on where to focus would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Focus on everything that's on the objectives that deals with commands because it's fair game. If you're having trouble with some commands, practice them. If you can't use certain commands on actual gear or simulation, try to remember them. If you feel that you aren't confident on the sims then try to practice more labs.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    One thing I am not too confident about are the sims, what type of command line configurations should I be focusing on? or are they going to be anything and everything?

Some non NDA breaking pointers on where to focus would be great.

The only thing I can say (without breaking NDA) is focus on the CCNA material. Personally, I studied up and beyond the CCNA level material and it really wasn't necessary. I would recommend studying and MASTERING the CCNA material.

So focus on... everything at the CCNA level. You (nor we) know what type of Sims you will get.
    CCNP :study:
  • outrunredoutrunred Banned Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everybody has their own methods...and all are valid.

personally I feel I got my fair share of sims....and one took me at least 15 minutes I'd say just to figure out what it was asking - complete brain freeze.

for me, it's not about using the commands on these sims, but working out what to drag here and there etc..... i wasn't sure what they were asking.

I like to keep studying simple and clean.... i used (and am only using now for ICND2) only 1 main source for studying (CBT Nuggets, which you are using anyway).... I then i i feel I need to go deeper just search on google for definitions, this helps me clear up some topics, but mainly I'll use the once place for getting the information in.

as far as router simulation goes.... I used only SEMSim....it covered what I needed. i'm now trying to switch that for GNS3 as it's afully blown emulation suite....

just try to keep it simple in my opinion.....don't over think it....

I'm sure someone will say the complete opposite and thats' fair advice also....what suits some people doesn't suit others.

oh and this place is great for clearing up any issues understanding concepts.....

good luck
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    My 2 cents:

Like everybody keeps saying know subnetting cold. If you can do it fast you will save time for other questions like sims.

Even if people could tell you what sims they got it wouldn't really matter because every test is different. If you get a sim for a broken network you will need show and debug commands to get to the root of the problem. Or you may get a configure this type question. Either way you need to study all the commands in the ICND1 book.

I don't think this violates the NDA:
    Keep in mind Cisco isn't trying to trick you on sim questions. The routers and switches in the SIMS work just like real ones so if you can lab things ahead of time that is the best practice.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone hit it right on the money! One thing to make sure is that you know the full versions of each command being tested. Shortcut commands don't often work and though an invalid message may stop you for a second, every second counts with Cisco exams; they're no joke :D
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Log into the Cisco Learning Network website and check out the ICND1 Exam Blueprint topics.

Anything topic that has something like "Perform, save, and verify" or "Verify" or "Identify, prescribe, and resolve" or "Configure, verify, and troubleshoot" or "Implement" are candidates for questions you may have to demonstrate your knowledge "hands-on" -- like SIMs or SIMLETs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Mega to everyone for taking the time to reply, just some snippets of things that got my attention.
    outrunred wrote: »

as far as router simulation goes.... I used only SEMSim....it covered what I needed. I’m now trying to switch that for GNS3 as it's a fully blown emulation suite....

just try to keep it simple in my opinion.....don't over think it....

Many thanks for taking the time to answer outrunred, I will take a look at GNS3 for sure, yes keeping it simple, great reminder for what would appear to be pretty obvious so far down the cert/IT road, I have those first MCP doubts tbh lol and I am only doing this one for fun/something new, i have no intetntion of being a network guy, just an MS ***** with a healthy respect for my comrades. ;)
    tha_dub wrote: »
    My 2 cents:

Either way you need to study all the commands in the ICND1 book.

I am actually Ok with subnetting oddly enough, not epicly fast in my head but OK I guess. I am actually working from the ICND1 nuggets, I do have the icnd2 and the ccna ones but have yet to touch them. Would keeping to the commands covered in the ICND1 nuggets equal you comment regarding sticking to the commands in the book? If i memorise them inside out and upside down I should be ok you think? no gotchas etc?

Everyone hit it right on the money! One thing to make sure is that you know the full versions of each command being tested. Shortcut commands don't often work and though an invalid message may stop you for a second, every second counts with Cisco exams; they're no joke [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

I have heard this a lot, "shortcut commands don't often work" so i am better off to just type the full command from the get-go rather than finding out they do not work yeah? one of the nuggets vids says the shortcuts do work, is this really not the case? not worth the chance?
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Log into the Cisco Learning Network website and check out the ICND1 Exam Blueprint topics.

Anything topic that has something like "Perform, save, and verify" or "Verify" or "Identify, prescribe, and resolve" or "Configure, verify, and troubleshoot" or "Implement" are candidates for questions you may have to demonstrate your knowledge "hands-on" -- like SIMs or SIMLETs.

Sorry forgot you mike, been doing a fair bit on that cisco learning site, in fact except for the games and so re-dos I have pretty much done everything there is to do, is anything cool hiding elsewhere on the site worthing looking at?

Those SIMS were epic, I wish they had more.

Cheers