Security+ CBTs/Book

ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I am currently studying for the Security+ exam (SYO-201). I am using the Syngress CompTIA Security+ Certification Study Guide which covers the SYO-201 exam. At work I am given these CBT nuggets by Shon Harris but they cover the SYO-101 exam. But so far the first chapter of the book Systems Security seems to line up with the first domain of the CBT series. Do you all think I can pass the test by watching the CBTs for the SYO-101 exam and reading the book based on the SYO-201 exam?

Comments

• etowntecetowntec Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should pick up the SY0-201 book by Darril Gibbson. His book is great and could almost be used as the only source you need for the exam.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    .... Do you all think I can pass the test by watching the CBTs for the SYO-101 exam and reading the book based on the SYO-201 exam?

No idea.

How well do you undestand the objectives for this exam?

I'm reviewing the material for this topic right now and for a CBT - I like TrainSignal's material (thus far, but I'm only 30% through it...I think it does a nice job overall).

The Sybex Text covers the material pretty well too.

How much experience do you have with this mateiral? This will be a better indication of your ability to pass the exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am fairly new to security in general If I take the SYO-201 exam or SYO-101 exam by January 1, 2011 they do not retire correct?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are correct about the retiring. With every test I tend to go overboard resource wise because I want to understand every nook and cranny.

Darill's book (amazing) alone was enough to pass the test, in my experience, but there were certain objectives that the book didn't cover in extreme detail (ie. virus types).

CBT Nuggets was great but I felt it was a bit long understandably; there's tonsssss of objectives on this exam.

Overall summary: No matter what you do, get Darill's book

</end> icon_cheers.gif
    I guess I am unsure which exam to take SYS-101 or SYS-201? Anywhere I can find a list of objectives for both exams? Are their any benefits for taking one exam rather than the other exam? This is all assuming I am going to take either one by January 1, 2011.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am fairly new to security in general If I take the SYO-201 exam or SYO-101 exam by January 1, 2011 they do not retire correct?
    First off I beleve the SYO-101 is already retired. If you take the SYO-201 before Jan 1, 2011 it will be lifetime. The particular test will still retire sometime in the future but your cert will still be lifetime. You should get a copy of the objectives for the SYO-201 at Download Exam Objectives
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    After looking at the objectives it looks like the CBTs are geared toward the Security+ 2008 (SYS-201) exam rather than the Security+ 2007 exam. Which is good because both the CBTs and the book are for the Security+ 2008 exam.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Interesting, how are the Shon Harris Videos? I have been waiting for her Security+ and SSCP videos, but they are ridiculously expensive.
    I have only watched the first domain so far. But, I would say they are good so far. She and this other guy split time standing behind a podium lecturing. I really like the test at the end of the videos it really helps reinforce if you got the knowledge out of the lectures or not. Their are nice slides with charts and pictures with examples also in the videos. This is all just based on watching the first domain so far so not really an in depth review.