Landed new job! Desktop Operator (Question)

cqlovecqlove Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I graduated in December 2009 with a B.S. in Management Information Systems. After looking for an IT job for 6 months, I finally found one only 3 minutes from my house for a major oil company! My question is should I even bother with the A+ certification? Would Network + be a better choice? My goal is to become a System Admin. in the near future. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    No cert is necessarilly a waste of time be it the A+or Net+. What's more important is the knowledge you gain in studying for these certs. Download the objectives for the A+ and if you are comfortable with answering questions in the objective you could probably just skip getting that cert. The same goes for the Net+.
    It would probably be a good idea to go ahead and study for and obtain the Net+ as the knowledge you gain from that will help you further down the road. The network knowledge I gained from the Net+ has helped me so far in studying for more advanced vendor specific certs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cqlove wrote: »
    I graduated in December 2009 with a B.S. in Management Information Systems. After looking for an IT job for 6 months, I finally found one only 3 minutes from my house for a major oil company! My question is should I even bother with the A+ certification? Would Network + be a better choice? My goal is to become a System Admin. in the near future. Any help would be much appreciated.

First off, congratulations!

Second, I hope it isn't for BP

Third, I would personally do them. Even if you know most/all the information, the piece of paper is always nice to know. Then you should get on the MCSA/E/MCITP path depending on where you want to go.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Hi;

I currently to desktop support too.

The rule i followed. Get qualified for the job you have, A+, MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech, then get qualified by doing the cert for the job you want.

In all reality how long will it take to get A+ and MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech.. 4 to 6 weeks. (Also the things you learn in MCITP: Enterprise support Tech, might help you a lot)
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Congrats! A+ is a good place to start.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz! If you goal is to become a SysAdmin then I would go

A+ -> Network+ -> MCITP:EDST -> MCITP:EA
  • cqlovecqlove Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thing is I have already read and studied for the A+ via Mike Myers 5000 pg book. Picked up some good info : ) Since I got the job though I am hesitate to throw down some money on this cert. Is it safe to say I should just take the N+ or CCNA or is A+ usually a requirement for a job higher than Desktop Support? Thanks again everybody!
    The thing is I have already read and studied for the A+ via Mike Myers 5000 pg book. Picked up some good info : ) Since I got the job though I am hesitate to throw down some money on this cert. Is it safe to say I should just take the N+ or CCNA or is A+ usually a requirement for a job higher than Desktop Support? Thanks again everybody!

You could easily skip it if you think you have that knowledge. If Cisco interests you than just start working on that.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    if you want to be certified in comptia things go for server plus it will be good for the futurre as you want to be a system admin. Mcsa or mcitp sa would be good too.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

A+ at this point has very little ROI in my opinion. Especially at 239.00 USD. Eeeeeek

The path Veritas listed is a nice one as far as I am concerned, if you really want to specialize in Microsoft. I would concentrate on impressing your peers and managers at this point. Learn the environment, study the environment, and soak everything up about your job.

And remember management liking you and respecting your work ethtic trumps any certification.

Just my opinion.
    I should mention that if you are going to do the A+ and Network+ then get them over before the end of the year. If you don't then you will have to renew them each year, or they will be expire in three years.
  • cqlovecqlove Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all the replies. I think I will just forget about A+ and concentrate on other certs that you guys mentioned. Also just took a TeXes teaching test today to teach EC-12 Technology Applications here for our school district. Thought I might try that too since they start you off at $50,000 here. One thing that is tempting is that teachers only work 168 days out of the year! That's a lot of extra time to pick and grin on my guitar! icon_wink.gif
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you for all the replies. I think I will just forget about A+ and concentrate on other certs that you guys mentioned. Also just took a TeXes teaching test today to teach EC-12 Technology Applications here for our school district. Thought I might try that too since they start you off at $50,000 here. One thing that is tempting is that teachers only work 168 days out of the year! That's a lot of extra time to pick and grin on my guitar! icon_wink.gif

BTW gratz on the MIS, very nice.