simple compliion

noman_edu2002noman_edu2002 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
if let say i have 4 computers and communicating with each other through switch(layer 2) .there is no internet connection .now will the ip adress will be used in the ip packet that will be communicating between computers .if yes who will give that ip adress? if not why plz explain?thanks

Comments

• chXchX Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the first question, yes - IP addressing will more than likely be used in the packet as TCP/IP is much more popular and prevalent than the other protocols.

I suggest you have a look at the OSI model, MAC addressing and IP addressing, how switches process frames and ARP.

As for who sets the IP address, there's a few ways. One is to statically set it on each host individually, or to use DHCP.
    2019 Goals:
    [ ] Recertify CCNA
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    chX wrote: »
    For the first question, yes - IP addressing will more than likely be used in the packet as TCP/IP is much more popular and prevalent than the other protocols.

I suggest you have a look at the OSI model, MAC addressing and IP addressing, how switches process frames and ARP.

As for who sets the IP address, there's a few ways. One is to statically set it on each host individually, or to use DHCP.

That pretty much explains it. And as he said, I'd start to read up on the OSI model and some books on basic TCP networking.