reference texts

LexLuthorLexLuthor Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am a comp sci major at my college and I have a pretty recent copy of upgrading and repairing pc's by scott mueller. Do you think this is a good book to use/reference while preparing for the A+ exams?

And yes I know the A+ may not do that much for me but honestly I just think its a cool certification to have. I have had professors in computer science who were absolute geniuses on creating new algorithms and have made great breakthroughs in the realm NP and NP complete problems, but the funny thing is they will be the first to tell you they know nothing about how to repair the computer. Its kind of embarrasing when people come to me asking to repair their computer...I'm like uhhhhhhhhhh, I can make a c++ application for you how about that?....so Any advice would be great too on things I should learn.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well first let me welcome you to TE!
    First off I think you should start by looking at the objectives for the exam which you can get here Download Exam Objectives The book you have may be a good start. I personally recommend getting Mike Meyers All in One
    Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 &… and then get a good practice test from a reputable source.
    Good luck in your studies.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Welcome!

And as you are finding there are various facets to computer 'expert'.

Tech Repair - range from board swapper/upgrade junkie ---> competant technician for repairing hardware and/or hardware/software issues on PCs or other such devices.

Help Desk - range from password resets ---> various network software support with end-users

Admin - range from overlap of helpdesk ---> packet sniffing and various network security tasks

Engineer - (not seeing this used as frequently) but overlap of Admin tasks and also planning, designing, dictating the best policies for creating a functioning network structure.

Programmer - league of their own. Exteremly valuable part of IT. Rarely seem to get the respect they deserve, but don't necessarily need to understand hardware (and at times this is an issue) to create apps/scripts or such to keep everyone else happy.

Check out the stickies for A+ items:
    A+ - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

As mentioned, the objectives would be the place to begin. A+ requires 2 exams to be passed to achieve the certification. Hands-on experience, Objectives, Meyers book as well as Sybex text are great to assist wtih preparing for your exams.

If hardware is not your interest, and you won't need it for your career, many skip this exam and focus on the exams that will help their career path. Nothing wrong with earning this certification, but it can be a bit of prep work (if hardware isn't your interest) and you may find your time better spend on other topics.

That said. This is exam is an generally considered entry-level and is the place most folks begin their exam path.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DAVID QDAVID Q Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LexLuthor wrote: »
    Hi, I am a comp sci major at my college and I have a pretty recent copy of upgrading and repairing pc's by scott mueller. Do you think this is a good book to use/reference while preparing for the A+ exams?

And yes I know the A+ may not do that much for me but honestly I just think its a cool certification to have. I have had professors in computer science who were absolute geniuses on creating new algorithms and have made great breakthroughs in the realm NP and NP complete problems, but the funny thing is they will be the first to tell you they know nothing about how to repair the computer. Its kind of embarrasing when people come to me asking to repair their computer...I'm like uhhhhhhhhhh, I can make a c++ application for you how about that?....so Any advice would be great too on things I should learn.

Thank you in advance.
    Scott Muller Que: Upgrading and Repairing Series Newest Editions 18 and 19th is like one of the best books out their especially when preparing for hardware section of the A-plus exam. In other words it can been used for Intermediate to Advanced levels for brushing-up and preparing for the hardware section of the A-plus even certain parts of the Operating system depending on what edition mainly 16th edition. But to Add to that Also he has another Version that is touches more on the operating system called (Upgrading and repairing operating systems 2nd edition) and as write I this he's probably has third edition in the works. Only down side to the UPGRADING AND REPARIRINGPC'S book is their not many pictures and examples for a beginner but if you can deal with that this is and excellent manual . But if your just a beginner and don't have any hands on experience building up pc's use the Build a p.c with Scott Muller with video included.

Now Scott Mueller's book collections is not a one fit all solution. So for cross reference materials I would recommend to fill in the blocks and blanks Is the materials below by more author's titles below such as

1.)Maintaining & Repairing PCs, 5/Edition Charles J. Brooks, eIT Prep This book has a chapter that touches more or printing its explained very well Laser,Inkjet and more.

2.)Also COMPTIA A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews. Actually my college just switch from charles J brooks A plus to Jean Andrews.

3.)And lets not forget about Mike Meyers's All in one Comptia A-plus

4.) Windows Xp Professional for power Users is another great book for Operating System Preparation by Harry L Phillips and so is Microsoft's Technet Resouce Manual is basically free for Xp if you know where to
    Resource Kit

I WOULD RECOMMEND THE NEWEST EDITIONS OF ALL OF THE BOOKS NAMED ABOVE BECAUSE OF THE UPDATES ADDED TO THE NEW APLUS WHICH IS 220-700'S RANGE WHICH INCLUDES VISTA. BECAUSE THE 220-600'S TESTS WILL BE RETIRED SOON.

last but least lets not forget Uncomplicating the Complicated | Hardware Secrets