Questions from a interview

cybervexcybervex Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
1. An extremely important folder is missing from a client network drive; it was there and suddenly it was gone. The person calling has tried to find it, but can't. You show up at the client site in order to restore the file from a backup tape. What do you do when you get there?

2. You receive a laptop that was working fine, but has suddenly developed a number of errors. The most critical is the wireless PCMCIA adapter, which is now getting "resource conflicts" when attempting to run it. A USB wireless adapter works fine. All the manufacturer diagnostics check out ok. What do you do next?

3. A client reports that their Windows 98 computer is "getting slower and slower" and that their antivirus software is "constantly popping up about quarantining files". They've already run AdAware and Spybot several times and they've scanned with their antivirus software, which found nothing. How will you go about fixing this problem?

4. You are about to leave for work. From home, you try to check on a client's new server, and find you cannot access it. What is your plan of action?

5. Users on a client network begin to report problems of messages from Outlook indicating it is sporadically loosing connection to the (local) Exchange server. The only change in the environment was a switch in Internet providers and an installation of a new DSL modem/router. How would you go about diagnosing the problem(s)?

I would like to see how everyone else answers these. This is what I ran into at an interview this week.
The sky is not the limit; The ground is!

Comments

• qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    1. Check the recycling bin.

2. Check the DMA/IRQ/Memory Address'? Or Possibly try a known working card.

3. Disk Defrag first & check start up process'

4. Try to ping the server, see if it's even up?

5. Put the old modem back in, see if there's problems. If there is no problem, stick the new modem back in and check configs.

Let me know how I did icon_twisted.gif
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. Check recycle bin (then **** slap the user) icon_lol.gif

2. Check the DMA/IRQ/Memory Address for the PCMCIA card. If nothing stand out as being suspect advise the user to continue using the USB one.
    Of course, from experience if you remove the USB one you will probably find the PCMCIA one works properly icon_wink.gif

3. Check to see if the external firewall is up. Run full AV scan of network icon_cool.gif

4. Never - I repeat NEVER attempt to access a clients server from your home address icon_exclaim.gif

5. Traceroute to the ISP icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1 - Check Recycling Bin

2 - Check IRQ's

3 - Put drive as slave to known clean drive and scan for virus/malware from there.

4 - Check settings for your access. Or check from the office when you get in and see if the problem still occurs.

5 - Tracert to ISP.