Options

Value of Security+ in Canada

eteneten Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm quite interested in the security path in IT, and many suggested to to go for security+ as an introduction. However, in Canada, there are literally no job returns when searching for "security+" as a keyword. Many IT security jobs don't even list the cert as a requirement. Besides CISSP, CISA, CISM, all other security certs generally return under 5 results. Is Security+ actually in demand in other regions? Would any of you actually "do" a certification if no job really needs it?

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eten wrote: »
    I'm quite interested in the security path in IT, and many suggested to to go for security+ as an introduction. However, in Canada, there are literally no job returns when searching for "security+" as a keyword.

Ah, that's the problem. You have to use the keywords "security+ hoser".

On a serious note, Security+ is an entry-level cert. Many people here hold it, and I predict that it has helped many of them in their careers.
    Would any of you actually "do" a certification if no job really needs it?

I think that simply because it doesn't show up in the online job postings that you checked doesn't mean that it's not in demand. It simply means that it's not listed as a requirement for jobs on the sites that you checked.

MS
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not to over hijack your thread, but most Comptia certs don't come up in search engines. I think the '+' get dropped. Aka "A+" becomes 'A', Security+ becomes "Security" so on. I've insisted that my boss add "Comptia Linux+" to the job description we posted. Hopefully the addition of Comptia will help.

But back to what you were saying, Sec+ is so minor. You might want to look into Cisco or Microsoft Security. The branding holds a lot of value.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Besides CISSP, CISA, CISM, all other security certs generally return under 5 results.

Is that true for the SANS/GIAC certifications as well?
    Is Security+ actually in demand in other regions?

As mentioned earlier, it's an entry-level certification. I wouldn't expect their to be outrageous demand for it, but it's definitely the starting place for security certifications.
    Would any of you actually "do" a certification if no job really needs it?

All the time. It helps broaden your horizons, and it might differentiate you from other job applicants.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Is that true for the SANS/GIAC certifications as well?

As mentioned earlier, it's an entry-level certification. I wouldn't expect their to be outrageous demand for it, but it's definitely the starting place for security certifications.

All the time. It helps broaden your horizons, and it might differentiate you from other job applicants.

Thanks for the insight. I very rarely find security jobs at an entry level. Most of them 3-5 years relevant experience, or pay straight out 60,000+. Sometimes you can judge what they expect by their pay and it's out of my league as a fresh grad. I guess my goal now is to find some sort of network admin job as I do have CCNP and see what I can get from there.

The two biggest job mine site in Canada are:
    www.workopolis.com
    www.monster.ca
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're a fresh grad with a CCNP? That's not too shabby. The Sec+ is still a good starting point for security that I think you should pursue if you're interested in that field. Have you thought about leveraging your Cisco knowledge and pursuing a CCSP? That seems like the most logical transition for you, unless you don't like/are sick of Cisco studies.
  • Options
    On the same boat again. Most if not all network admin jobs require experience. There might be a few that require around 1 year experience, but those are never dealing with Cisco equipment. And I love Cisco, but have to learn some MS because of the job availability.

Yes, I have CCNP, A+, MCTS AD and two irrelevant Java Certs.