Userfolder access How do you do it?

staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

currently where i work we use mapped drives based from our old novell system and sys admin guy, they basically make no sense, every department has a department drive, then any cross department drives are random letters.

With the new restructuring that is going on i was thinking of cleaning up the way the users get to files and folders..

One suggestion has been to put all department folders and all the cross department folders in one file and map that single drive to all users and just have access in permissions to restrict/allow,

another would be to keep mapped drives but does anyone have a sensible way to allocate the letters?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

S

Comments

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    staggerlee wrote: »
    Hi all,

One suggestion has been to put all department folders and all the cross department folders in one file and map that single drive to all users and just have access in permissions to restrict/allow,

That is how I do it.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    staggerlee wrote: »

Or a group policy that has a logon script with case statements. This way you can read any of the ldap fields of the user profile and map a drive based on the criteria.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could just map say drive S: to be a folder that is called Departments, and then inside there have all of the folders for the different departments. Then just configure permissions if you only want a department to access their own folder.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    You could just map say drive S: to be a folder that is called Departments, and then inside there have all of the folders for the different departments. Then just configure permissions if you only want a department to access their own folder.

To further build on this you could use access-based enumeration so that they only see the folders they have permission to.
  • staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    qcomer wrote: »
    To further build on this you could use access-based enumeration so that they only see the folders they have permission to.

Thank you.. i knew there was a way to do this but couldnt for the life of me remember how...

Im leaning more to doing this than keeping with the current option.. As it is just such a mess at the moment.

Thanks for everyones input anymore ideas welcome :)

I've seen this done before, but I don't know how to do it.
    I've seen this done before, but I don't know how to do it.

What server OS are you running? 2003? 2008?
    What server OS are you running? 2003? 2008?

I've worked with both. Currently mostly with 2003 since I'm working to get my MCSE.
    I've worked with both. Currently mostly with 2003 since I'm working to get my MCSE.

Implementing Access-Based Enumeration in Windows Server 2003 R2 good tutorial.

I need to get back on my studies also. Maybe this fall I will start back up on it. icon_study.gificon_rolleyes.gif
    Any kind of update? Did this work good for you?
    Hey, thanks for that link. I just read it over and I will have to try it when I get home.