Some Serious Advice

coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
Folks,

Need your expert input into something that could be a big change for me.

As of now I have little over 2 years of Information Security experience with a Bachelors degree and some certs. I am thinking of getting into an Master's program; it is off course a valuable addition to career profile but if I get into it then I pretty much end up spending all my savings and come out empty handed, from a financial point of view, at the end of my coursework. I also thing that this is probably the most appropriate time for me to get into this since I don't have any family ties (wife,kids).

Given the above situation, would you jump into it at 30?

My only point of concern is that I will have to take a fresh start in terms of savings. Is a Master's degree worth spending all my savings on.

Appreciate your comments.

Comments

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    What will you get out of it?

Will it enable you to earn more money? will it better position your for promotion? or will it help when applying for another job?

If I could not answer yes to the above I wouldn't do it.

Having a degree, some certs and some solid experience already puts you ahead of most of the competition.
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    What will you get out of it?

Will it enable you to earn more money? will it better position your for promotion? or will it help when applying for another job?

If I could not answer yes to the above I wouldn't do it.

Actually I could see a YES to all 3 of these. I could actually be making twice as much of what I am currently making. I have saved a good amount of money to pay for MS in 2 years and if I spend it all then I should be able to earn it back in a shorter period of time.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    coffeeking wrote: »
    Actually I could see a YES to all 3 of these. I could actually be making twice as much of what I am currently making. I have saved a good amount of money to pay for MS in 2 years and if I spend it all then I should be able to earn it back in a shorter period of time.

Then go for it, if I could double my income I would do it at the drop of a hat.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/55446-masters-degree-now-hold-off.html is a long thread about someone who is trying to decide if he should jump into the field after his BS or if he should look to a Masters program. Your situation is a little different, but you might find some value by taking a peek.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would if I was in your situation. The longer you wait the less likely you are going to in the future. Goverment agencies in particular like to a master degree on resumes.

You might also want to look at alternative schools like WGU or Capella that offer INFOSEC degrees at a more affordable price. If that is not a big concern than I would mention Norwich University. I know you weren't asking about specific colleges but I thought I would just throw in my .02 :) <::: If you like outside of the US just ignore my comments, LOL
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I personally wouldn't do it unless my employer would pick up some of the cost.

But if the money isn't an issue then I would go for it. Usually if a company is going to pay you double your salary once you earn your Masters, they will pay for at least part of the degree.
  • pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    I think you're at the prime point in your career to benefit from a Masters. If you have the money, time, and motivation, I say go for it. As Veritas pointed out above, the longer you wait, the less likely you'll be to do it. A wife and/or children will definitely make it more difficult later.

As for whether or not it's worth spending your savings on, you'll likely get varied responses, but I say most definitely yes, especially if you can find a reputable program. If you were straight out of undergrad with no experience or certs, it probably wouldn't be worth quite as much. But since you have experience and certifications to go with it, I think a Masters would help set you apart. If it takes you 2 years to finish, you'll have 4 years of experience in your field, a good base of certifications, and a masters degree. That sounds pretty solid to me.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.