Passed Security+

kaigeikaigei Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sorry for posting this late but just wanted to say a big Thank you to Darrill Gibson and your Security+ book. It was the only book I used to pass the test a couple of weeks ago and was an excellent read. I liked the large print (For us older techs) and was straight forward in all the information.
The beginning assessment exams and chapter exams where right on the money to help indicate what I had learned and needed help on.
Darrill if you are reading this Amazon is showing that your new book on Windows 7 will be released on July 20th, can you tell me if this book release date is correct?
If your Windows 7 book is as good as your Security+ book I will be on my way to Win 7 certification soon.

Certifications that I am working on
Project+
70-680
70-685

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats. How long did you study and how much experience did you have? Anything you think that a person should go over before the test (without breaking NDA of course).
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kaigei wrote: »
    I liked the large print (For us older techs)

I'm 21 and I enjoy larger print books. It just makes the reading easier and keeps you moving. With small print, you can sit on the same page for 5 minutes. I find that I can read for longer if the type is bigger. Moving through 50+ pages in a single session is a big motivator.

Congrats on passing the test!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • kaigeikaigei Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I studied every night for 3 weeks for about 2 or 4 hours in the evening (Depending on if I was having trouble with a section). My experience level is about middle of the road. I am a help desk supervisor and handle security issues for my department (We do have a security dept. where I work and if it is something I cannot handle I pass it to them), but I learned a lot from the book.
    I would say if you read the book from beginning to end and then focus on areas that you have a lot of questions on you will pass the test. My main areas that I had trouble with while reading was all the information given for Risk assessment and certificates in the book my brain was fried after reading those chapters. In my notes I used 2 colors of high lighters, a yellow for the stuff I knew and orange for the stuff I really needed to go back over (yellow for caution, orange for stop and read again). The 2 colors of highlighter helped me to focus when going over notes and getting ready for the test.
    I felt the questions in the book challenged me enough to not require anything else to help. One thing I would recommend is to not take the assessment in the beginning of the book but read thru the book first then go back and take the test. The questions will weed out your strong and weak areas.

Good luck with your studies and on the test.
    Project+
    70-680
    70-685
    I completely agree with the large print, I loved the large type, small print bugs me so I am more than likely to not use the book or the material if the type is small. The exam cram 2 books have gone to a smaller type which I think causes some people to bypass these books and look for others.
    Project+
    70-680
    70-685
  • cnortoncnorton Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whats the name of the book...i'm on Amazon .com, is it called "Get certified ahead?
    yes that is the book

CompTIA Security+ SY0-201: Get Certified, Get Ahead by Darril Gibson
    Project+
    70-680
    70-685
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cnorton wrote: »
    whats the name of the book...i'm on Amazon .com, is it called "Get certified ahead?

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□