Linux+ Question of the Day

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
To build up a set of questions for the Linux+ exam we are going to post a question in this topic every day... or almost every day ;) and give the answer the next day. You can also post your own questions if you like... be sure to include the exam objective the question covers. Here's the complete list of the Linux+ exam objectives, also check out the clarifications link at the bottom of the page.

Here is the first question:

Q 1. Which of the following are true regarding the kernel version 2.1.20? (Choose 3.)

a. The major version is 2.
b. The minor version is 20.
c. The minor version is 1.20
d. The patch number is 20.
e. The patch number is 1.20.
f. The kernel is in development.
g. The kernel is stable.

Exam objective: 1.9 Identify how the Linux kernel version numbering works

Correct Answers: a, d, f.

Explanation: First digit is Major version (2), second digit is Minor version (1), third digit is kernel patch number (20) and forth is package number. If the Second digit is an ODD number the kernel is in beta/development. If the Second Digit is an EVEN number the kernel is from the release/production branch. Kernel versions do not translate directly to stability.

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ooh ooh ooh - I know this one icon_wink.gif

I better keep my mouth shut tho icon_cool.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, Russ, you are only allowed to post questions, not answer them :D

I believe the next one will be yours :D
    (Sorry RussS, couldn't wait to post this one ;) I figure I should change the topic to questions of the day....)

Q 2. Which of the following will exit the VI editor and save the file?

a. !q
    b. :q
    c. :w
    d. !w
    e. :x

Exam Objective: 4.16 Create, edit and save files using vi

Answer: e

Explanation: :w will write the file but does not exit the editor. :q exits the editor if the file has not changed, does not write. !q can be used to exit the editor even if the file has changed, does not write either.

Reply if you know it... or think you know it ;)
    Haha - I wasn't going to post one until the last question had an answer or 3 first.
    www.supercross.com
    RussS wrote:
    Haha - I wasn't going to post one until the last question had an answer or 3 first.
    Well, that can be arranged ;)

The answer is F. Anyone else? icon_clown.gif
  • prolificprolific Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Haven't used vi in a while, but i think the answer is E. I just use nano to do text configuration now. :D

GO GENTOO icon_twisted.gif
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
    Well done ;) the answer is E indeed. You win a new question, an easy one perhaps, but essential knowledge:

Q 3. What command would display the full path to the current directory?

a. cd
    b. cd .
    c. locate
    d. pwd
    e. whereis

Exam Objective: 4.6 Manage and navigate the standard Linux file system (e.g., mv, mkdir, ls, rm)
    This one is quite elementary indeed. The answer would be "pwd". Ill do you 1 better. It can stand for either print working directory or present working directory. You got questions, I've got answers.. Hehehe :D
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
    Q4: I have a file called prolific.tar.gz. I woud like to extract this package, keeping in mind that I would like to see an output of all the extracted files. What command would I use?

4.12 Create, extract and edit file and tape archives using tar

Answer tomarrow
    I think I know the answer (gzip -d -l prolific.tar.gz), but what are the choices? icon_wink.gif
    Im sorry to report that your answer is incorrent. :P

Note: Not only is my file gunzipped, but it is also tarred :)

Choices are:

A: tar -xvf prolific.tar.gz
    B: tar -xvzf prolific.tar.gz
    C: tar -cvf prolific.tar.gz
    D: tar --unzip --list prolific.tar.gz
    I noticed that but,
    I would like to extract this package, keeping in mind that I would like to see an output of all the extracted files

gzip -d -l prolific.tar.gz will extract this package (this package being prolific.tar.gz) and the -l switch will take care of "see an output of all the extracted files", all extracted files being in thise case: profilic.tar for example....

Nevertheless, since it is not one of the choises ;) I will go with answer B, although I didn't know you can do that without the -t

Good question!
    Here's a good example of a typical A+ topic, that is part of Linux+ as well:

Q 5. What is the minimum required amount of memory on a video card to support a resolution of 800x600 with 16-bit color depth?

a. 1MB
    b. 2MB
    c. 4MB
    d. 8MB
    e. 16MB

Exam Objective: 2.12 Select Video card support (e.g., chipset, memory, support resolution(s))

Answer: 1MB

Explanation: To determine whether or not your memory card can handle a particular resolution use the following calculation: horizontal resolution * vertical resolution * color depth, divided by 8,388,608.

Reference.
  • copperpotcopperpot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say a.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental

illness."
  • glecioglecio Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the answer is 4Mb :P
    1 of you is correct :P Read the Linux+ Objectives Clarification to find out which one and why... (or wait for the answer and next question ;) )
    Hmm.. I typically don't like these memorization questions. However I will say the answer is 4MB as well.. 1MB makes no sense whatsoever! :D
    Answer A. 1 MB it is.

Sure memorizing it is a good option for the amount of ram needed for a X resolution with X color depth.

but, CompTIA expects you to calculate it, doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you know it... because there is a very large chance a question very similar to this one will turn up on your Linux+ exam. Since it is explicitily mentioned (including the formula) in the Linux+
    Objectives clarification

New question in a couple of minutes..
    Q 6. You want to quickly display the location of the man pages currently being searched when using the man command. What should you type in the command shell?

a. locate man
    b. man locate
    c. manpath
    d. find man
    e. whereis man

Exam Objective: 6.15 Locate troubleshooting resources and update as allowable (e.g., Web, man pages, howtos, infopages,LUGs)

Answer: c

Explanation: MANPATH is a user environment variable, which man uses as the path to search for manual page files. It overrides the con­figuration file (/etc/man.config, if different) and the automatic search path, but is overridden if the man command is invoced by using the -M option. You can display the contents of MANPATH simply by typing manpath.
    If I understand what I read about it, icon_confused.gif I think the answer is e. whereis man.
    regardless, this is a great tool to start learning about Linux! Thanks Webmaster! :D

illness."
    I'm sorry Copperpot, but it was c....

Here's a new one:

Q 7. What is the preferred file system for the partition for the virtual memory?

a. ext2
    b. ext3
    c. ReiserFS
    d. Linux Swap
    e. vFAT

Exam Objectives:
    2.6 Partition according to your pre-installation plan using fdisk (e.g., /boot, / , /usr, /var/home, SWAP)
    2.7 Configure file systems (e.g., (ext2) or (ext3) or REISER)

Answer: d

Explanation: In Linux you can use fdisk to create a separate partition for the swap file, which should be formatted with the Linux SWAP file system. It is recommended to create a SWAP partition which size is twice the amount of RAM.
    quite alright! c was my first choice, I should have stuck with that! I think I read into the ? too much or something. Or maybe because I'm just learning! icon_wink.gif Fun stuff anyway.
    now on with more reading and try again!

illness."
    I am going with d. Linux Swap

illness."
    You are correct! Thanks for participating and the appreciation Copperpot. :)

The next one will be for the 2.7 objective again, just a couple of more and I'll feed them also to our test engine.
    Ok - webmaster is showing me up so I better post the next question on objective 4.6.

Qx. When working with files and using the mv command, which is the correct syntax?

a. mv <source filename> <destination filename>
    b. mv <filename source> <filename destination>
    c. mv <destination filename> <source filename>
    d. mv <filename destination> <filename source>

Exam Objective: 4.6 Manage and navigate the standard Linux file system (e.g., mv, mkdir, ls, rm)
    www.supercross.com
    Im thinking A.. I dont get the english usuage here. Whats the difference between source filename and filename source?
    I say a. also.

illness."
    shoot, too easy - I better think of something a little more difficult.
    www.supercross.com
    The first 10 lines of a file can be viewed by using the 'head' command - is it possible to view the last 10 lines using the 'tail' command?

Y / N

Objective 4.10?
    www.supercross.com
    yes it is

illness."