Management adressing

Saratoga ScottSaratoga Scott Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Where can I findsome best practices for yheipadressing of my switches and routers? What range should I use? Should it be common across the network? Should it be independent from any users, hosts, or resources?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Hey there,

That's a pretty loaded question that is unanswerable IMO.

What is your network like? You have to describe to us what you have or what you'd like to have, and we can then offer some ideas, but just asking what YOUR network should be like without knowing a thing about it is pretty difficult...
  • Saratoga ScottSaratoga Scott Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess I am asking initially about a small lab LAN with a few switches and routers, but ultimately I am curious as to what is done in large networks. It would seem best to get management adressing schemes independent from user subnets, etc.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I guess I am asking initially about a small lab LAN with a few switches and routers, but ultimately I am curious as to what is done in large networks. It would seem best to get management adressing schemes independent from user subnets, etc.

In a small lab, just go with whatever floats your boat. Sometimes I even use public addresses just for the fun of it.

But as far as best practices go, yeah, you'd like your management addressing to be separate from the rest of your other devices belonging in their own VLAN.

This way other users have no chance to access the management portion of that subnet....
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!