Options

hands on experience for the A+

chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
is it true that comtia recommends that you have 500 hrs of hand on experience before you take the A+ exam?

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They recommend it but it's not required. Hands on experience will definitely help, though. I hadd some (way less than 500 hours, though) but while studying I got hold of some old computers from a recycling place nearby and played with those while studying for the A+.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whenever a test is written, there is always an audience that is targeted for that test. All that means, is that they expect someone with 500 hours of experience will know all of that stuff.

Because you have the ability to study for it, you can easily pass it with less than that.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh ok well my day have about 20-30 computers that he bought from an auction that i can play with
  • Options
    Super DevilSuper Devil Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took mine last week and passed. The hardware portion was easy and if you can get a good study guide you'll be fine there. As for the troubleshooting portion I did a little worse. I rarely ever have to troubleshoot printers and there was alot of printer questions on mine. Any topic you think your weaker in just study that more. There was also alot of DOS command switch questions on mine so study the basic DOS commands (i.e ping, tracert, copy, delete, etc)

I used the ExamCram CompTIA A+ study guide and it really helped alot. Its only $30 I think on amazon.com if you don't have any books or study guides now.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    chevy454 wrote: »
    is it true that comtia recommends that you have 500 hrs of hand on experience before you take the A+ exam?

YES.

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA A+ Essentials measures the necessary competencies of an entry-level IT professional with a recommended 500 hours of hands-on experience in the lab or field. It tests for technical understanding of computer technology, networking and security, as well as the communication skills and professionalism now required of all entry-level IT professionals
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?