Secure FTP

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am looking in to setting up a FTP server on a Windows server 2008 box. As of right now my only requirement is that FTP communications must be encrypted. I've spent some time looking around and it seems like there are lots of options here. Has anyone setup the MS secure FTP solution? It appears to use SSL to encrypt the connection as opposed to the SFTP protocol which use SSH. Is one better than the other? Are there any 3rd party solutions I should look in to? Keeping costs low is a priority here.

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You may want to check out:

FTPS (FTP over SSL) vs. SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol): what to choose

For a quick comparison of the too. In windows I'd image that FTP with SSL is more common (bc it comes on Win2kicon_cool.gif, however SSH on linux comes with SFTP built in so I'd image that's more common there.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    we run nothing but winSCP
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could use ipsec to encrypt the traffic.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think SFTP is actually more common. I don't know anyone using the FTPS on Windows 2008. I have it installed on a server and it works, but the decision has been made to support both insecure and secure, so none of our customers actually uses the secure client.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't forget to install the out of band FTP server update for IIS that is a separate download, don't install the one off the Windows 2008 base install. There were a bunch of fixes to the newer one.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I have it installed on a server and it works, but the decision has been made to support both insecure and secure, so none of our customers actually uses the secure client.

Hows that for irony... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□