CPR certified

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
I've never listed this on my resume, but at one point I did consider it. It technically is a certification, but not related to IT so I left it off. I'm just curious to what some of the hiring people in this forum would think about seeing that.

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it's a good idea. I'd be wondering what IT related cert that was especially if you are applying to an IT job. Honestly, how often do you think you are going to use that cert on the job? :P
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It really comes up because I do see people around my office with a redcross logo on their ID badge signifying that they have been trained. No it won't help do your day to day job, but maybe just a piece of mind knowing that the guy who will be near your office might save your life?

PRO's for listing it:
    -Shows some personality traits
    -Having someone around the office skilled to save a life could come in handy, could give you the edge if other qualifications are equal.
    -Like any cert, shows that you can commit to something (although getting this cert is much easier than any IT cert I have worked for)

CON's:
    -Takes up space that I could use to list other certs
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I would list it as training, not certification, and expand it out of the acronym so the manager isn't trying to figure out what technology it is. It's a useful skill that can come in handy no matter where you are... No one is hiring us to be robots; they're hiring skilled human beings with a wide range of abilities. CPR is probably one of the more important ones that any person can know, regardless of their profession.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    some job applications have a special skills area where you can list that certification. When that option is available you should put it. I myself would love to get that certification and take a class for it.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At work we have regular classes for CPR and fire fighting, I think listing these would be good.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You might list it out as 'Certified Emergency First Repsonder' (at least that is technically what mine is called.)

I debated whether to put 'Certified Rescue Diver' on my resume to pique personal curiosity and interest since most people don't dive, but in the end, chose not to.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    colemic wrote: »
    I debated whether to put 'Certified Rescue Diver' on my resume to pique personal curiosity and interest since most people don't dive, but in the end, chose not to.

Probably a good choice, I don't see a diver ever being needed during an IT job. Possibly something you could reference in a cover letter though if you want to create some interest in you.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Definitely not needed for IT. :) Agreed that a cover letter would be a better place for sure, to ge their attention.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First post on the forums! Been lurking for a month. :)

I just added a "Certifications" section on my resume. Originally I listed them all in one big blob, but now I have subsections for "Information Technology," "Health Care," and "Other." Under Health Care I have my CPR (Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers) and First Aid. More to come.

I don't see the harm in adding it if there's room.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't add it on your resume but do add it to your interview.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    First post on the forums! Been lurking for a month. :)

Welcome to TE. Gald my post could draw you out of the shadows!
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    Every job I have had has required initial training and recertification every year or two it depends on the Red Cross sometimes they change the recert process to biannual or annual.

A lot of what we do isn't dangerous just some of the places we have to go are. I am in a power plant or substation at least once a week.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Mishra wrote: »
    Don't add it on your resume but do add it to your interview.

I agree.

Unless you are entering the health care field I would NOT list this. It certainly is a talking point during the interview!

However, your resume should highlight your active skills that will make the company money if they hire you.

While prompt first-aid is critical, many larger organization have key people trained, and offer renewal training for those key people. Some open first-aid training to all interested employees.

IMO I just don't see listing it as a PLUS for an IT-type job.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?