Passed the core today :)

DalmazianDalmazian Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, this is my first post here. I have been reading and studying off of this site for about a week now. My question is this. I have been working with and around computers for about 8 years. I can build one, i can troubleshoot one, but the terms and definitions are what get me. So i took the VTC A+ cert course, and now i am studying off of the practice tests on here. Do you think these practice tests are enough to judge by? Or should i take more?
And do any of you have any tips? I have the dma's, irq's, and i/o down pretty good. Or at least the ones on the practice test here. I am just nervous. I am working at a bad job right now, making little money, and i want to take this test, so i can at least get into something i enjoy. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Always use more than one source to judge your progress and/or level of understanding.
  • DalmazianDalmazian Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    K, thanks. I am also doing some practice ones from SimulationExams. There pretty good.
  • AzimScotAzimScot Inactive Imported Users Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    make sure you know your networks and printers especially laser also cpu sockets i heard where quite alot these technotes are great
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would reccommend more than just exam sims and practice questions, read a book like Mike Meyers all-in-one A+ guide, and make sure you try to take a look as much as possible inside an actual computer. You could very easily have questions where you have to ID devices, cables, etc.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Dalmazian wrote:
    .....And do any of you have any tips? I have the dma's, irq's, and i/o down pretty good. Or at least the ones on the practice test here. I am just nervous. I am working at a bad job right now, making little money, and i want to take this test, so i can at least get into something i enjoy. Thanks in advance.

First, Welcome to the site :)

Second, as mentioned use a couple sources. Using the forums here should help provide you with answers to specific questions or clarification to things you think you understand....just need to ask. :)

If you have not yet, download a copy of the objectives from Comptia. You can then read and evaluate how much time you may want to devote to specific areas.

Best of luck
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I took it and passed. I was nervous as heck that i was going to fail.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Good work :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats1
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    First, I would definitely recommend the Mike Meyers A+ 5th; it gives a very thorough details without boring you to death. I would advice you to read it 2 or 3 times to get the facts sink in.
    Second, Download the A+ plus objectives and mark off each topic that you are familiar with.
    Third, Get also this site's study guide too; helped me tremendously.
    Fourth, try to get the ExamCram2 study questions; many of the questions on the test I took are in the book.
    And finally, go to other sites to get the free study guides and practice exams....some of the questions on the tests are in the practice exams.
    Personally, I think you should be fine with passing this test with your past experience (I've also the amount of years of experience); just fine tune your understandings more specific and concrete to the details.
    Good luck!!
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
    Thanks everyone, and thanks for the advice on material. Will check those out.