Options

Applying CPE's to Multiple Certs, including non-ISC2

apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

So I am still waiting for official notification of passing the CISSP exam at which point I will still need to go through the endorsement process (although I am almost finished working with my endorser to get it signed off) so I have a while to worry about this yet but I had a question about ISC2's policy on CPE's.

I recently received notification from Comptia that, while it will remain active, the Security+ certification is being retired in 2011. It will be replaced by Security+ CE (I am assuming this means continuing education) in order to gain compliance with ISO standards.

Ive been informed that I can keep my active Security+ cert and opt-in to the new Security+ CE without having to take another exam.

Doing so will require 2 things
1. An Annual maintenance fee $49 (which I dont currently pay)
2. Submit 50 Continuing Education Units (CEU) per 3/yr period.

So my question is thus... Does ISC2 have any policies regarding using my CPE's to keep my CISSP cert current and my Security+ cert current?

What do you guys think about the new Comptia CE program?
Do you think it is worth it to enroll in the CE program if I have my CISSP?

I guess it would give me the Security+ (non-expiring), Security+ CE and CISSP.

Thanks,
-APR911
Currently Working On: Openstack
2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP

Comments

• Options
    Sorry Guys!

I posted this in the wrong thread stupid tabs. I thought I was on the tab in the right board but I was in the EC-Council one.

Would one of you mods out there kindly move this over to the write board?

Cheers!
    Tony
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    apr911 wrote: »
    So my question is thus... Does ISC2 have any policies regarding using my CPE's to keep my CISSP cert current and my Security+ cert current?
    You can use the CPEs that you declare for your CISSP for other, non-(ISC)2 CE certs, such as those from EC-Council and SANS.
    What do you guys think about the new Comptia CE program?
    It is necessary for any certification vendor who wishes to sell certs to the US government and DoD to comply with ISO/IEC 17024. This is the only reason for the changes in CompTIA's certification requirements.
    Do you think it is worth it to enroll in the CE program if I have my CISSP?
    If you already have a lifetime cert, there's no reason to get the CE version of it, unless your employer requires it. In that case, it will be your employer who (hopefully) pays for your exam and AMF.
    I guess it would give me the Security+ (non-expiring), Security+ CE and CISSP.
    Only employers who care about ISO/IEC 17024 requirements will recognize any difference between Security+ and Security+ CE.
  • Options
    Cool stuff, thanks for the info.

If I opt-in before the deadline, I wont have to take an exam since Im already certified

As far as the CPE's go I will already be doing the 120 hours for my CISSP Cert so submitting less than half of that to Comptia shouldnt be an issue.

Sounds like it will really just come down to a personal choice for whether or not I want to pay the $49 AMF to go to the Security+ CE, as my current employer wont care about it or pay the AMF.

I was just wondering if there was any value in holding it if I already hold (or rather will soon be holding) the CISSP.

-APR911
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Sounds like it will really just come down to a personal choice for whether or not I want to pay the $49 AMF to go to the Security+ CE, as my current employer wont care about it or pay the AMF.

I was just wondering if there was any value in holding it if I already hold (or rather will soon be holding) the CISSP.

-APR911

save your money.
    WIP: IPS exam