Finally a A+ Certified Technician!!

zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
Took both A+ exams today, and passed! Took me three weeks to study for these tests. Anyhow, I would like to thank all the people here in the forum for contributing to my success.
Also a big thank to Techexams for its study guides; tremendously wonderful study guides with specific details that cut down on the reading in the book. I would defintitely recommend others to this site. Keep up the good job!!
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki

Comments

• zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Now that I have passed the A+, I don't know which to take; the Network+ or the Windows 2003 server (70-290). Any advice? I've heard that they have made a change to the Network+ and 70-290 test? Any idea?
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Congrats, 3 weeks is pretty good I personally think. The exam might not be so hard, but there's a lot of knowledge crammed into it, that's for sure.

What do you plan on going for next?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
    to be honest, I don't really know. I've heard that Network+ has lost some value to its name, and that MCSE (especially the Windows 2003 server) has added value due to its difficulty and new testing method. What about you? What path are you taking?
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the A+ cert!

If you're going for MCSE 2003, you might want to take the client exam first--either 2000 Professional (70-210) or XP Professional (70-270). After that take the server exam.

Who can really judge the value of these certs? It all depends on the attitude of the people hiring you or the people that you work for. A few employment adds call for some kind of cert, but most call for experience and education, associate or bachelor degree, and do not mention certifications.

Best of luck on your choice.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

Regarding what to take next, consider where you want to go and the OS/Equipment you will/are working with. That should determine where you test to highlight your knowledge.

Comptia certs while some criticize, many hold. They are vendor neutral and that says good things (IMO) as most networks contain a variety of products.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I 'd agreed that knowledge and experience are what really count....yet, I have been looking in many job postings where they would require a ceritifcation. It's hard for a guy like me who's been working in the IT field for over 5 years (4 in desktop, 1 in system admin), without a college degree and been out of work for over 3 years due to the recession.
    I am currently going back to school, but might have to juggle that with looking for a new job to support my newly wedded lifestyle.

I'm gearing more into Network+ for now, but I'm looking into getting a MCSA-->RedHat or Novell Linux-->CCNA (ultimate goal would be a CCIEE).
    Thanks for the suggestion folks!
  • Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    zenboy wrote:
    Took both A+ exams today, and passed! Took me three weeks to study for these tests. Anyhow, I would like to thank all the people here in the forum for contributing to my success.
    Also a big thank to Techexams for its study guides; tremendously wonderful study guides with specific details that cut down on the reading in the book. I would defintitely recommend others to this site. Keep up the good job!!

Congrats, what books did you use to get all that knowledge in 3 weeks?
  • Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    zenboy wrote:

Congrats, what books did you use to get all that knowledge in 3 weeks?
    sorry, didn't get to read your question. I've been busy studying for the Network+.
    Anyhow to your questions, I used the Mike Meyers A+ AllinOne 5th ed., Meyers's passport book, Cramexam2 Questions book (this was a great book to test your knowledge before the exam). I didn't think the Meyer's Passport book cover all the playing field....perhaps, it was good to use it to review over things. Oh yeah, I have used various sites (such as this one) to download study guides, pratice test, and forums questions. Download much of the materials as possible (I printed out over 2 inches of study materials found on the net along with the books mentions....Check for various exam sites for these materials).
    Anyhow, my success to accomplishing this certification in over three weeks had alot to do with my experience. I did desktop support for over 5 years and I have always been reading up and breaking/fixing systems as a hobby. I think the knowledge I have acquired over the years helped me hurled over the boring technical stuffs that one have to remember (I actually didn't think I could memorize the technical parts).
    I think if I had only 1 year of experience, it would have taken me at least 3/4 months of full time study to pass this exam.
    I hope I haven't discouraged anyone from taking the exam.
    Just take your time and thoroughly learn the materials.
    I'm currently am studying for the Network+ and have read half of Meyer's book, but I'm feeling queazy (spelling?) about the second half (which is mostly on OSI model, protocols, and intergration of various OSs., which is where my weakness's is). I have only a year of system admin experience, but I hope I could work my way toward the Network cert.
    Well, I got to get back to my book now. Wish everyone a success in his/her study for exam.