Tattoo to remember a long weightloss journey

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I lost a lot of weight and I am thinking about getting a tattoo to remember the long and painful journey to get where I am now.

Anyone got a cool idea ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A fat guy and a skinny guy labeled before and after. To represent the long journey you can put them far apart.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A hotdog looking into a box and melting away like the "german guy" in that Indiana Jones film. Perhaps a cupcake crying while a free weight and a carrot walk away hand in hand!

Seriously though losing a lot of weight is epic and a lot of work. How much have you lost? I've lost 90 since 2007. I think getting something related to a hobby you have or dedicated to the moment you decided to change would be pretty powerful.

I would get a tattoo but I know I will regret it.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should get something that looks terrible on you now but will look good when you lose the weight. Then you'd get motivated to lose the weight.

I guarantee that it will work out perfectly too.
    dynamik wrote: »
    You should get something that looks terrible on you now but will look good when you lose the weight. Then you'd get motivated to lose the weight.

I guarantee that it will work out perfectly too.

Get a fat chick (or dude what ever your preference) that gets skinny along with you. That will give you the motivation to get rid of the ugly chick tattoo. Dynamik always has the great ideas!
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All good ideas, but I want something subtle which isn't quite obvious at first.
    Also I cannot really use something which "shrinks" while I am losing weight as I am pretty much at the end of my journey. Plus tattoos don't change THAT much when losing weight (well unless you lose 100s of lbs of course).
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    A hotdog looking into a box and melting away like the "german guy" in that Indiana Jones film. Perhaps a cupcake crying while a free weight and a carrot walk away hand in hand!

Seriously though losing a lot of weight is epic and a lot of work. How much have you lost? I've lost 90 since 2007. I think getting something related to a hobby you have or dedicated to the moment you decided to change would be pretty powerful.

I would get a tattoo but I know I will regret it.

Well done - good job mate !!!!

The most I ever weighted was 300 pounds around xmas 2009. But in january this year I started to get chest pains which opened my eyes and it remembered me that every single member of my family had a heart attack at around 40.. Being 35 myself doesn't really help so I pulled the emergency brake in January and I am now at 195 pounds with still around 14 pounds to go to reach my ideal-weight / goal weight.

I just want to have a tattoo to make sure I never forget how hard this is but I don't want to have anything fat / fat looking tattoo'd if you know what I mean.

Hobby - good idea .. I have a lot of snakes, but not sure how that can be incoorporated really ...

Keep 'em coming :)
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A skinny cow eating a fat cow ..

7 skinny cows eating 7 fat cows will be better of course.

icon_thumright.gif
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    A battleship on your butt.

It doesnt have to be related to weight loss, just something to remind you of the accomplishment. Dont confine your choices to something so small.
    brad- wrote: »
    A battleship on your butt.

It doesnt have to be related to weight loss, just something to remind you of the accomplishment. Dont confine your choices to something so small.

Haha .. don't do small on tattoos anyway

voy4yd.png
    Mmm.... might have an idea ... using our family history of heart disease and the fact that time was running out, a sand clock where there is a heart at the bottom part of the clock where the sand fills up the heart again :D
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some good ideas above but one reminder: put it somewhere out of sight, not on forearms or neck. Some employers still frown upon tattoos and you don't want to give a bad impression by having a tattoo pointing at your prospective employer during an interview.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Some good ideas above but one reminder: put it somewhere out of sight, not on forearms or neck. Some employers still frown upon tattoos and you don't want to give a bad impression by having a tattoo pointing at your prospective employer during an interview.

Or just plan on wearing long sleeves if you want your arms done and work in a professional environment. Long sleeves are common attire in the professional realm, regardless of ink.

Edit: Since we're sharing, this is on the left leg (I need to get back to MN to finish it icon_sad.gif):

attachment.php?attachmentid=499&stc=1&d=1277923495
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    what about using a bar code font and spell out

"I WAS A FAT B****D"

this would have to be on your belly or waist as this is were i imagine you lost most of your weight

lol
    Lee H wrote: »
    what about using a bar code font and spell out

"I WAS A FAT B****D"

this would have to be on your belly or waist as this is were i imagine you lost most of your weight

lol

HAHA .. or maybe not :)

Well I got an appointment now on July 26 - lets see how that turns out :)
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A long road with a tiny man in the distance at the end of the long road.

death1.jpg
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I say a fat guy and a skinny guy. Labe the fat one Windows and the skinny one Linux. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    I lost a lot of weight and I am thinking about getting a tattoo to remember the long and painful journey to get where I am now.

Anyone got a cool idea ?

IMO if you have to think about it, don't do it.
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would get the fire, water, leaf thing dynamilk has with a scale put in it somewhere that has your old weight on it.
    So it's like all bad a$$ or whatever you want to call it but has some personal weight related attributes.

You can call it Earth, Wind and Weightloss icon_cheers.gif
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
    garv221 wrote: »
    IMO if you have to think about it, don't do it.

I disagree. Get a tramp stamp with your max weight in Olde English and surround it with tribal flowers and butterflies.
    Well I got an appointment now on July 26 - lets see how that turns out :)

Ah dude, I don't know how you can wait that long. The anticipation is almost as bad as laying down the ink. When I decided to get mine, I scheduled an appointment for just a couple of days later. We outlined a few main shapes, and we designed the rest of it as we went. The guy's a genius. See Benny at Fluid Ink if you're near St. Paul, MN.
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get a tramp stamp with your max weight in Olde English and surround it with tribal flowers and butterflies.

icon_thumright.gif
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    If you get this tattoo, make sure to put it in a location where the laser tattoo removal scar won't show ;)
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Guess I should stop paying taxes :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dynamik, is that the FireFox logo? I kid, the colors on that look wicked.
  • mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guess I should stop paying taxes :D

me too :D the diagram is pretty awesome though!

gomjaba congrats on the weight loss, it's really impressive how much you've lost.

dynamik, great leg sleeve!

darkerosxx, that looks like Ben Kowalewicz?
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Or just plan on wearing long sleeves if you want your arms done and work in a professional environment. Long sleeves are common attire in the professional realm, regardless of ink.

Edit: Since we're sharing, this is on the left leg (I need to get back to MN to finish it icon_sad.gif):

attachment.php?attachmentid=499&stc=1&d=1277923495

No disrespect intended, I'm not a fan of tattoos, but I gotta say that's one really bad ass tattoo.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Anyone got a cool idea ?

Congratulations!

1 - Tattoos - stay with you for at least 5 years AFTER death ;) So, obviously the choice is a struggle.

2 - When you speak with your artist, see what they recommend, they should have sketches and photos of things they've done or can do.

3 - the struggle of this decision lends me to think of the balance of life...so maybe a yin/yang but make the inner circle symbolic to your story. And the yin/yang (while normally a smooth round outter edge) could be two opposite shapes engulfed around each other...with the little piece of each found in the opposite side.

I'll see if I have some time to sketch something up if the written part doesn't make sense...and if you are remotely interested.

Also, making it a little smaller now, but leaving it so you can add too it (and very commonly folks DO add to it...or change it to hide it) you may want to consider something that can grow with you throughout your life.

@Dynamik, how many tatt's do you have now? And how did you start? Did you start small and become addicted...or did you just dive in?

BTW- just curious, what are approximate price ranges these days on tattoos? icon_scratch.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    tattoo-map.jpg

love it....

Never understood the tats...

No offense
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    2 - When you speak with your artist, see what they recommend, they should have sketches and photos of things they've done or can do.

Absolutely. You're stuck with these things for life, so make sure you're with someone who's experienced and not a rookie that wants to experiment on you.
    3 - the struggle of this decision lends me to think of the balance of life...so maybe a yin/yang but make the inner circle symbolic to your story. And the yin/yang (while normally a smooth round outter edge) could be two opposite shapes engulfed around each other...with the little piece of each found in the opposite side.

That's the route I went with. It's supposed to be a fire-and-ice design, but IT smart-asses always feel the need to bring up Firefox... ;)
    @Dynamik, how many tatt's do you have now? And how did you start? Did you start small and become addicted...or did you just dive in?

Nah, my philosophy is go big or go home, so that was my first one. I'm approximately 14 hours in, and I have at least 5 to go on the back, plus touch-ups. I actually wasn't really a fan of tattoos, but I randomly saw a woman with a tribal design wrapping up from her ankle, and I was immediately enthralled.

The only other one I have is one I got a few months ago while on-site in Hawaii. It was heavily influenced by a Lu'au and the Mai Tai canoe (I did enforce a 24-hour waiting period to make sure I really wanted to go through with it).

attachment.php?attachmentid=500&stc=1&d=1278119773

I designed both of mine, which I think is of paramount importance. If you can't come up with something that's meaningful to you, you really shouldn't be getting it done. The artists embellished a little bit, but I'm not going to turn away their gifts. I'd say they are about 90% similar to what I came up with.

BTW- just curious, what are approximate price ranges these days on tattoos? icon_scratch.gif

The artist that did the sleeve charges $125/hr, but gives you breaks for longer sessions. I did three sessions of 4-5 hours. He's ask for around $300 for 4 hours, but I tipped heavily since he did a stellar job. I believe the guy in Hawaii asked $275 for the four hours we did. I gave him a substantial tip too, but Hawaiians are laid back (i.e. lazy), and he never bothered to run that through, even though it was like $75 icon_lol.gif
    miller811 wrote: »
    love it....

Never understood the tats...

No offense

No worries, I got a laugh out of that too.

As far as tats go, you're either into it or you're not. I really can't explain it. I love them, but I completely understand why nearly everyone else thinks they're odd. I'll probably do a full sleeve or two over the next few years.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    if i were going to get a tattoo to celebrate my weightloss, it'd probably be a glazed donut with something written in the icing.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    That's the route I went with. It's supposed to be a fire-and-ice design, but IT smart-asses always feel the need to bring up Firefox... ;)

Yeah, leave it to this crew! ;)
    Nah, my philosophy is go big or go home, so that was my first one.

with you, not really surprised! It's very nice (or you did a great photoshop touchup :D )

The only other one I have is one I got a few months ago while on-site in Hawaii.

THIS ONE IS VERY COOL!!!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=500&stc=1&d=1278119773

The artist that did the sleeve charges $125/hr, but gives you breaks for longer sessions.....

Ok, so not a lot of change from what I knew it to be. Removal of a tat from a friend of mine was about $400 per square inch....and looked surprising good afterward (considering they were self-tattoo'd in their friends garage some 20 years ago)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?