Restricted user problem in windows 7!

shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi
Iam using windows 7 and windows xp in our domain pc's.We have AUTOCAD 2006 & 2009 in our pc's .It is quiet working good in all the windows xp pc's with restricted user logged in those pc's
But in newly bought pc's with windows 7 retail version professional,I found that AUTOCAD is working only in users with administrator rights logged in those windows 7 pc's.

I cannot give admin rights for those users.Only they have to be in restricted group
Anybody can help me regarding this?Please

Thanks
Swaminathan

Muscat

22-06-2010
Thanks

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Have you tried disabling UAC?
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    This can be a complex issue with different causes of the problem, and thus different solutions. The application may run a check to see if the user is a member of the administrators group when it launches. In that case there is a ForceAdminAccess shim in the Application Compatibility Toolkit that lies to the application and says you are a member of the admin group even though you aren't.

The application may be checking for admin access because it wants to write to Program Files or System32. Writes to these folders are virtualized in Windows 7 and redirected to a writable area of the user profile - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. The program doesn't know this so it is checking to see if you are a member of a group that has rights to write to Program Files. The program may also check the ACL of the folder, and in that case I do not know of a shim that lies about an ACL. You may have to open up rights to whatever folder it wants as a last resort. The writes may still be virtualized, but at least the ACL check will pass.

There could be other issues as well, so you will have to test. There are tools available such as the Application Compatibility Toolkit and the LUA Buglight. Application compatibility testing can get pretty complicated, but just learning some of the basics can really help you.

Standard User Analyzer ? Compatibility Tool, Windows | TechNet
    Download details: Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit
    Chris Jackson's Semantic Consonance - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaron_margosis/
  • BocaRatonITBocaRatonIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Claymoore, would running it Compatibility mode work in this situation? have you tried to run it in XP mode?
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Claymoore, would running it Compatibility mode work in this situation? have you tried to run it in XP mode?

Compatibility Modes are collections of compatibility shims. One of the shims is a version lie that lies to the application about the version of windows on which it is running. None of the compatibility modes include the ForceAdminAccess shim.

Running the applicaiton in XP Mode may work, but for an enterprise implementation you would need MDOP to run a centrally managed MED-V image.

The best bet would be to upgrade the version of AutoCAD to one that is natively compatible with Windows 7. Shims, Compatibility Modes and virtualization should only be used when that is not possible.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    and running autoCAD in a virtual XP machine would be utterly useless, performance wise.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

It could be, it is certainly worth a try.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Claymoore & everybody

Thanks a lot for the replies

Iam waiting for the solution from anybody still the admin only working

Swaminathan

04-07-2010
    Thanks
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ScriptLogic has a freebie program that will elevate rights for a program running under a restricted user, I've never used it but it sounds like something that could work for you.

Elevate User Permissions in Windows with Privilege Authority - ScriptLogic
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...