70-680: Words of encouragement and hope

mccorvicmccorvic Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
This forum has been a great help to me in passing the 70-680.

Recently, as in two months ago, a very unique and surprising opportunity landed in my lap. Prior to that I had ZERO IT experience or anything of the sort.

My first assignment was to study for and pass the 70-680. Again, with no experience in the field or taking these sort of exams I spent a month reading the Microsoft book and studying with those materials. I took the 70-680 at the beginning of June and failed with a 600. I was really surprised at how dissimiliar the test questions were to the sort of samples provided with that book.

I spent a few weeks studying more and used the Transcender test to help. That's also when I ran across this forum which provided me with encouragement, resources, and just general knowledge about the test.

This last Saturday I took the test again and passed with an 800. Wicked awesome.

But really, if I can pass the test with only two months of studying ANYONE can. So if you've failed it once or twice before, just remember me and my success and that should be enough to motivate you :)

Thanks again!
-McCorvic

Comments

• bencmcbbencmcb Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! How were the transcender samples compared to the real questions?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bencmcb wrote: »
    Congratulations! How were the transcender samples compared to the real questions?

I'm wondering about that as well. I'm thinking about buying the transcender for the 70-680 today. My retry is next week.
  • aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm wondering about that as well. I'm thinking about buying the transcender for the 70-680 today. My retry is next week.

This exam really hits hard on the experience part; I studied the official study guide and learned a bunch of new stuffs but no questions similar to the practice tests were on my exam. Instead many questions asked you to identify a method or process to be completed to solve a problem.

My advice is to hit the case studies and practice practice practice. Don't memorize.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • etbjr182etbjr182 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow! I'm in a very similar situation. I just got a job with very little experience, no certs and just an AA. I have to get this exam soon and I'm just waiting for the MS press book. Congrats and thanks for the words of encouragement!
    Currently studying for 70-640 :study:
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • mccorvicmccorvic Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□

The Transcender practice tests required a bit more knowledge than the Measureup ones, but was still pretty different than the real test.

The best thing to do is when you come across a question that you miss on the practice tests is to go back and study everything around that question and practice with it on a live Windows 7 machine.