Help Desk Job @ U.S. Government Agency

techsource2005techsource2005 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Fellow Techies,

I finally snared a help desk job (contractor) working for a U.S. Government Agency.

The job requires me to support an end user base of 650 users using Lotus Notes, Citrix, etc.

I have had several help desk jobs in the past and need to keep this position so I can progress to the next step.

However, I find help desk work to be very stressful and frustrating.

What tips do you guys have on how to stay at my help desk role (any people who are or have done this type of work)

Furthermore, what do you guys think about doing help desk work @ a government agency ? will it look good on a resume ?

Your input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Fellow Techies,

I finally snared a help desk job (contractor) working for a U.S. Government Agency.

The job requires me to support an end user base of 650 users using Lotus Notes, Citrix, etc.

I have had several help desk jobs in the past and need to keep this position so I can progress to the next step.

However, I find help desk work to be very stressful and frustrating.

What tips do you guys have on how to stay at my help desk role (any people who are or have done this type of work)

Furthermore, what do you guys think about doing help desk work @ a government agency ? will it look good on a resume ?

Your input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Get there learn what u can get the clearance and move on to something else. I worked at one where it was supposed to be "network help desk" all I did was log into a router and call someone else to fix it(post CCNA and 3 years at another NOC). So just make sure you have a exit plan and don't be one of the old timers that stay there.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    shodown wrote: »
    Get there learn what u can get the clearance and move on to something else. I worked at one where it was supposed to be "network help desk" all I did was log into a router and call someone else to fix it(post CCNA and 3 years at another NOC). So just make sure you have a exit plan and don't be one of the old timers that stay there.

I know that the US Government loves security certifications and Itil certifications. Both are viewed as gold. I worked for DISA and the USDA and they really pushed people to get those.

If you want to make the jump from contractor to employee those two certs would be my suggestion. That was from the branch chief himself.

Security + / ITIL V3 Foundations. Both of those are golden in helpdesk in the federal government. Especially a recognized security certification and I know Comptia is the favorite, because it's respected in their eyes and it's one of the easiers ones to obtain. At least that's what I hear.
  • kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Working for any government contractor is frustrating. The down side to the dark side is that you are limited to what you can have your hands on and the scope of your contract. So anything in the way of training, college, etc...will probably be on your dime and NOT theirs.

As far as the Security+ you will have to update it every 3 years, regardless of when you got the cert. The government does love additional certifications, and depending on who you know and work with you may have the chance of getting into other contracts or projects.

Once you get that Security clearance you are good to go on moving into other contractor positions. I would give yourself at least 2 years, and enough time to get your feet wet and get that clearance in your hands, but don't stay there tooo long.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    As far as the Security+ you will have to update it every 3 years, regardless of when you got the cert.

Huh?

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy
  • kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    phoeneous.....There's a DOD 8570.1 re-certification every 3 years now. That would include the Security+ certification. So if you are working for DOD, or DOD contractor, you gotta get re-cert every 3 years.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Kiki1579 is right, from the U.S. Army Information Assurance Training and Certification Update PDF, June 2010:

CompTIA is transitioning to a continuing education format to meet the ISO 17204 standards. Currently CompTIA is evaluating the list of courses from the DoD services. The course completions equate to a certain number of Continuing Professional Education Credits. CompTIA hopes to have everything formulated and confirmed NLT Oct 10.
    Personnel certified in A+, Network+ and Security+ by 31 Dec 2010 will be "certified for life" by CompTIA standards. All personnel holding one of the CompTIA certifications and who are part of the IA workforce shall opt into the continuing education process on
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]1 Jan 2011 [/FONT][/FONT]and no later than [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]31 Dec 2012[/FONT][/FONT]. Certified personnel who do not opt into the continuing education by 31 Dec 2012 will have to [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]RE-TAKE [/FONT][/FONT]the commercial certification exam under the continuing education umbrella or naming schema. The retake is required if you are a member of the DoD IA workforce only.

The yearly maintenance fee will be paid by DoD as long as your certifications have been released through DMDC a t
    [FONT=Consolas,Consolas][FONT=Consolas,Consolas]h t t p s : / / www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/ d w c / i n d e x . j s p . [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Consolas,Consolas][FONT=Consolas,Consolas][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Consolas,Consolas][FONT=Consolas,Consolas]
    MANAGERS[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]: Please ensure your personnel have released their certifications.
    Personnel taking the exam on or after 1 Jan 2011 will have a certificate expiration date of three years from the date certified, however when the individual enrolls in the Con-tinuing Education process they will have three years from the date to complete the CPE credits therefore their certification will not expire.
    CPE credit requirements:
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Security+:
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]50 CPEs every 3 years
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Network+:
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]30 CPEs every 3 years
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]A+:
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]20 CPEs every 3 years

'IA Workforce' is loosely defined as anyone having elevated access.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    phoeneous.....There's a DOD 8570.1 re-certification every 3 years now. That would include the Security+ certification. So if you are working for DOD, or DOD contractor, you gotta get re-cert every 3 years.

Ah, I wasnt aware of the DoD stuff. Thanks.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually by how that reads personnel will be able to do the Continuing education program and not have to recertify (retest) every 3 years. Those with lifetime certs will also have to participate in the CE program.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Correct, earweed. I don't think recertification was the best word, but it puts a different spin on 'lifetime cert' as in, in DoD, that does not exist.

But at least they will spring for the annual fees. I wish they would do that for CISSP (hopefully they will do that in the future.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • TheDailyMelTheDailyMel Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going through the whole A+ cert process for work right now due to the DoD requirements. I work for an FFRDC that supports the Air Force. I also just enrolled in the BSIT program at WGU, so at least I can kill two birds with one stone. :)
    Melissa
    BSIT - started July 1, 2010
    In Progress: TEV1, TTV1
    Completed: EWB2
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1