Project+ vs PMP

MagnavexMagnavex Inactive Imported Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
PMP Certification vs Project+

Project management is one of the hottest employment areas today. With several certifications available for project management, what is the best one for you?

CompTIA launched their Project+ certification several years ago. This test relies on the candidate's knowledge of project management to pass and become certified. PMI, or Project Management Institute, has had its Project Management Professional (PMP) certification available for several years. They currently have over 75,000 PMPs certified around the world. Which certification is the best for project managers?

The CompTIA Project+ certification is similar to their other certifications - it is one exam covering specific project management topics. The PMP certification is different as it has several educational and work experience prerequisites for the certification. The PMP certification requires documented project management experience and documented project management classroom hours.

With this difference in prerequisites for certification, the PMP is the more highly sought certification for project management professionals.

Should I get the CompTIA Project+ certification?

The Project+ certification is a quality certification for project managers who do not yet have the experience or meet the requirements of the PMP certification. The Project+ certification would demonstrate to potential employers that you have a baseline of project management knowledge which will be invaluable to their organization.

Comments

• kinezokinezo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PMP is obviously the more desired of the two. Project+ is like all of the other CompTIA certs -- its a stepping stone. The good thing about Project+ is that it is largely based on the same PMBOK that PMI has designed.

So any time you've accumulated the requisite hours for the PMP exam, the things you need to know won't be out of nowhere having studied and hopefully passed the Project+ exam.

The one thing I'm surprised at is that to pass the PMP exam, you only need a low-mid 60s on the test. I would have thought it would be higher.
  • rivecj44rivecj44 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First, do a search for project management jobs and see how many you find that demand a Project+. I would say.....hardly any. Now do a job search with PMP requirements and compare results.

I would say that if you want to start out with something easier of more entry level type go for the
    The Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM®) it is also part of the PMI cert group.

Project + does not really hold much value or recognition in the PM world today. STICK with either the CAPM or PMP.
    Visit the following sites for information and requirements;

www.pmi.org/
    http://www.pmhub.net
    Pmprepcast.com
  • pmhutpmhut Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1 year past the last post on this thread, what is the status of CompTIA Project Management certification? Does it still exist? Is it still being used?

I know that PRINCE2 is gaining momentum in Europe (apparently in the UK and the Netherlands and several other European countries it's dominant certification), however, PMP is still by far the #1 certification in North America (I don't think there are any PRINCE2 chapters in the US or Canada).
  • Altonjohn329Altonjohn329 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Even though many IT professionals hate to admit it(especially the older ones), there comes a time in life when we really need to be certified in something. I never thought the day would come, but I am facing the concept of being over 40 and wanting to stay in the IT job market.

As I look at current Project Management opportunities, there is a growing demand for PMP certification. Up until now, I felt that my 20+ years of experience and Master's Degree should keep my sellability level fairly high. But, I have reached a point in my career where companies who are looking for new employees are hiring less experienced individuals in order to provide lower pay levels. So, in order to at least keep my current salary and perhaps move up on the pay scale, it seems I may need to add some initials after my last name.

PMP certification seems to be the way to go. But the requirements are extensive and the test is fairly expensive. So I considered the Comptia IT Project + Certification. But, as I look through the job opportunities, I see very few referencing the Comptia certification. I don't know if they would even consider someone as having Project Management certification with just the Project + certification.

The strange thing is, it looks like the information for both tests is very similiar.
    The Project + seems more focused on IT Project Management vs generalized. I would think that PM jobs in the IT field would focus more on the Project + certification rather than the PMP.
    Alton
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you considered the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)?

http://www.pmi.org/CareerDevelopment/Pages/AboutCredentialsCAPM.aspx
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Project+ is trying to establish itself in the market but it's still considered an "entry-level" certification. If you have the experience go for the PMP or CAPM.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Project+ is trying to establish itself in the market but it's still considered an "entry-level" certification. If you have the experience go for the PMP or CAPM.
    +1 Still wouldn't rule out Proj+ as a first step. Get it to establish that you have a basic kowledge base in project management and then go for your CAPM or PMP.
    Saw an article listing rankings of certifications and PMP is at the top of the list. Can't get to that link right now to give it to you as the site is down.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, thanks for the information on this thread! I recently got CompTIA's Network+ and am working on Security+ next. I am also a senior in college and am majoring in Computer Science. I was about to get the Project+ after the Sec+ but it seems that the CAPM would be a better choice for me after browsing these forums. The only thing that sucks is that self-directed learning does not satisfy education requirements. Does anybody know if Project+ can be used as a prerequisite to CAPM???
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rushdown wrote: »
    W Does anybody know if Project+ can be used as a prerequisite to CAPM???

No, it can't.

Look at page 7 of the CAPM handbook at http://www.pmi.org/CareerDevelopment/Pages/AboutPMIsCredentials.aspx

MS
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    rushdown wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Project+ can be used as a prerequisite to CAPM???

I'll pipe in on this too, and say-- no, it can't be used as a prerequisite, BUT. . . you might use it as a warm-up.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • RodanimodRodanimod Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found this thread while doing some research and thought I would throw my two cents in a year and half later. I have both the CompTIA Project+ and PMP certification. I got my Project+ certification in 2005 and PMP in 2008. In addition, I also received both my undergrad and MBA with project management as a focus. First, I would agree with others and say that getting the Project+ certification is a good way to get a general understanding of project management and could be a study aide for the PMP exam. However, in my experience it is still unrecognized in the job market.

The reason the PMP is so desirable is for the exact reason many don't want to take it. The requirements are stringent, it requires many hours of documented experience and formal training, and while the exam doesn't require a high score to pass it is not an easy exam by any means.

As for which I would recommend Project+, CAPM or PMP, without a doubt I would recommend, for anyone questioning which, to pursue the PMP. My rational is this: Project+ is not widely recognized and thus not as lucrative as a PMI certification especially in the job market; the CAPM, while being more recognized, is rarely a job requirement and in many cases (at least in my experience) the bigger question becomes, why didn't you pursue the PMP.

Now just to drive my point home a little for those in the job market or wanting to advance their careers; after receiving my Project+ certification I changed jobs twice with no consideration from the company regarding the certification I received a pretty standard 10% increase in pay in my new roles. After getting my PMP I changed jobs and received a 50% increase in pay in my new role. Food for thought.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Rodanimod wrote: »
    I found this thread while doing some research and thought I would throw my two cents in a year and half later. I have both the CompTIA Project+ and PMP certification. I got my Project+ certification in 2005 and PMP in 2008. In addition, I also received both my undergrad and MBA with project management as a focus. First, I would agree with others and say that getting the Project+ certification is a good way to get a general understanding of project management and could be a study aide for the PMP exam. However, in my experience it is still unrecognized in the job market.

The reason the PMP is so desirable is for the exact reason many don't want to take it. The requirements are stringent, it requires many hours of documented experience and formal training, and while the exam doesn't require a high score to pass it is not an easy exam by any means.

As for which I would recommend Project+, CAPM or PMP, without a doubt I would recommend, for anyone questioning which, to pursue the PMP. My rational is this: Project+ is not widely recognized and thus not as lucrative as a PMI certification especially in the job market; the CAPM, while being more recognized, is rarely a job requirement and in many cases (at least in my experience) the bigger question becomes, why didn't you pursue the PMP.

Now just to drive my point home a little for those in the job market or wanting to advance their careers; after receiving my Project+ certification I changed jobs twice with no consideration from the company regarding the certification I received a pretty standard 10% increase in pay in my new roles. After getting my PMP I changed jobs and received a 50% increase in pay in my new role. Food for thought.

Rod great post! Thanks for chiming. I am set to take the PMP exam on the 5th. Any wisdom to pass along?
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    I should be taking the Project+ fairly soon. Now I'll consider pursuing the PMP certification as well. Any recommended text for both certifications?
  • winstarmanwinstarman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I obtained the Project+ before the PMP - I would only view the Project+ as a step towards the the PMP or some other PM certification. I have yet to run across any organization that was really looking for the Project+ as a cert. (I will caveat and say that the project+ is ALSO a good introduction to project management for someone who has not been any sort of PM or had any exposure to PM.)
    RR, CISSP, PMP, FITSP-M, Sec+, Net+, Project+
    CISSP/PMP Memoirs: http://avitria.com/
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rrieben

WGU BSBM (Sep 2012-Dec 2012) Progress: COMPLETE! Transferred: AGC1 BBC1 LIT1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INC1 INT1 EST1 MGC1 QLC1 QMC1 QLT1 BVC1 EGT1 IWC1 IWT1 CLC1 MKT1 FNT1 TPV1 - Completed: EWB1 BNC1 LWC1 EGC1 MKC1 RWT1 FNC1 OBC1 QAT1 QDC1 QHT1 QGT1

• ackmondualackmondual Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Even though many IT professionals hate to admit it(especially the older ones), there comes a time in life when we really need to be certified in something. I never thought the day would come, but I am facing the concept of being over 40 and wanting to stay in the IT job market.

As I look at current Project Management opportunities, there is a growing demand for PMP certification. Up until now, I felt that my 20+ years of experience and Master's Degree should keep my sellability level fairly high. But, I have reached a point in my career where companies who are looking for new employees are hiring less experienced individuals in order to provide lower pay levels. So, in order to at least keep my current salary and perhaps move up on the pay scale, it seems I may need to add some initials after my last name.

PMP certification seems to be the way to go. But the requirements are extensive and the test is fairly expensive. So I considered the Comptia IT Project + Certification. But, as I look through the job opportunities, I see very few referencing the Comptia certification. I don't know if they would even consider someone as having Project Management certification with just the Project + certification.

The strange thing is, it looks like the information for both tests is very similiar.
    The Project + seems more focused on IT Project Management vs generalized. I would think that PM jobs in the IT field would focus more on the Project + certification rather than the PMP.

FWIW, your experience and formal education should go a long way towards earning a PMP. I know someone who does Info Assurance and he (practically) decries any sort of certifications, saying they're nothing without the experience to back them up. Even then, they're really not needed. From his perspective, he may be right.... he's got enough experience and knows how to sell his skills and experiences in an interview, but for myself and others, unless it's at extreme expense and time spent, it couldn't hurt to have certification. Heck, I've run into folks who do stuff like IT hardware or software development with no bachelors degree. Odd in the sense that many government projects typically require at least a B.S. in Comp-Sci or its equivalent. They felt it was much better use of time and money to learn on their own than pay all that tuition money.

As far as comparing yourself to younger, less experienced candidates, it sounds like if you're willing to take a pay cut, just try to sell that a lower pay would still be acceptable (so that they won't be as paranoid about you taking the job, then jumping ship right away). Whether warranted or not, certs do add anywhere from +10% to +50% pay, depending on if it's a relatively simple one or the more difficult ones.