Jobs in SC (Greenville)

knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
Hi Guys,

If there is anyone on this board that lives or works in Greenville, SC I'd like to ask a couple questions regarding work there. I'm currently looking to relocate there as I love the place. I'm looking to head there in January to check out the job market for IT and see what I can get.

Not only that but also applying for some schools there to do computer science as I would like a degree. As most people look for that I believe. Any help would be great.

Regards
70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I live and work in Greenville and one other person that I know of on here is veritas_libertas. Greenville is a pretty nice place to live, but the IT market is relatively small. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I live and work in Greenville and one other person that I know of on here is veritas_libertas. Greenville is a pretty nice place to live, but the IT market is relatively small. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.

Hey Networker,

Yeah I've been there many a times and I love the place. I'm looking at what work I could get with my qualifications I have at the moment. 1 exam off the MCSA:2003 with 3 1/2 years working in a NOC for a local datacenter. I really want to work while studying and get a degree. After the MCSA exam I'm going to start down the database admin route.

What I really want to ask is.. Is there jobs out there for like NOC work or desktop support work?

Regards

Yes there is work like that around here. My company is looking for some people to work in the NOC now. There are actually a couple positions hiring right now. Check your PM.
    Yes there is work like that around here. My company is looking for some people to work in the NOC now. There are actually a couple positions hiring right now. Check your PM.

Thanks. Will wait for that PM to come through. Thanks for the heads up.

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Greenville, SC is a beautiful area. Just realize that if you do move here you won't be able to take classes at in-state rates for a year.
    Greenville, SC is a beautiful area. Just realize that if you do move here you won't be able to take classes at in-state rates for a year.

If you move for a job you can get the instate rates in less than a year. I just had to get a note from my employer on company letter head for my wife to get the instate a couple months after we moved here.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you move for a job you can get the instate rates in less than a year. I just had to get a note from my employer on company letter head for my wife to get the instate a couple months after we moved here.

That is interesting I didn't realize that.
    Yes I love the area. Such a welcome change to where I am from now. People are so nice and the park is beautiful.. Just need to find someone willing to take me on as I'm not a local so might find it a bit hard.

knownhero wrote: »
    Yes I love the area. Such a welcome change to where I am from now. People are so nice and the park is beautiful.. Just need to find someone willing to take me on as I'm not a local so might find it a bit hard.

That will probably be your biggest hurdle. I was hired on and moved down here by the company, but I was only a few hours away. It might be a lot harder with imigration and stuff coming from across the pond.
    That will probably be your biggest hurdle. I was hired on and moved down here by the company, but I was only a few hours away. It might be a lot harder with imigration and stuff coming from across the pond.

Yeah. But its worth a shot. Can but only try really.

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I lived there for a couple years, it's a nice place, but the IT market is far too weak, IMO. I doubt I'd live there again unless some more big companies moved in.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I lived there for a couple years, it's a nice place, but the IT market is far too weak, IMO. I doubt I'd live there again unless some more big companies moved in.

I'm in the charleston area and i'm getting ready to skip town for that reason. There are a few jobs here and there, but not a lot of entry level work nor is there much NOC or datacenter work. Google is setting up near Charleston though, so that is a good sign. Still, i'd rather not wait for the jobs to come here.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    I'm in the charleston area and i'm getting ready to skip town for that reason. There are a few jobs here and there, but not a lot of entry level work nor is there much NOC or datacenter work. Google is setting up near Charleston though, so that is a good sign. Still, i'd rather not wait for the jobs to come here.

I'm lucky in that respect. I do have time to wait. I happy to see the amount of help I got from this post also as well as the input from you all. I've been looking at coming over in Jan now to scope the place out job wise so might see some of you ;)

• AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Columbia has quite a bit of IT work probably the most out of the entire state with all of the government agencies. However it certainly is a college city and no where near as beautiful as gvegas.

There are also some big companies like CSC here.
    AnthonyG wrote: »
    Columbia has quite a bit of IT work probably the most out of the entire state with all of the government agencies. However it certainly is a college city and no where near as beautiful as gvegas.

There are also some big companies like CSC here.

I did apply for a job in Columbia for a NOC position but they wanted to hire local sadly. I'd be willing to head there but Greenville is my first port of call :D

knownhero wrote: »
    I did apply for a job in Columbia for a NOC position but they wanted to hire local sadly. I'd be willing to head there but Greenville is my first port of call :D

Your best bet for getting close would probably be Atlanta or Charlotte. Both have pretty large IT markets and both within a couple hours of Greenville. Once you find a job just to get you over here it will be easier to find something in Greenville.
    Your best bet for getting close would probably be Atlanta or Charlotte. Both have pretty large IT markets and both within a couple hours of Greenville. Once you find a job just to get you over here it will be easier to find something in Greenville.

Yeah I think that will probably be the best bet as limiting myself to Greenville will make it harder for myself. Charlotte I've been too as well as the Atlanta airport :D

Though come January I'll look in all places close to and in Greenville.

• thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am looking to relocate to the Charolette, NC or SC area as well. I have been looking at jobs and atlanta has many.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your looking for NOC work try looking around Augusta, Georgia. It's right across the river from South Carolina. Fort Gordon operates several NOCs and the pay is greatly disproportionate against the very low cost of living in Augusta. You'd be hard pressed to find IT positions for under 40K at Gordon, with most averaging between 50 to 60K.
    2E151 wrote: »
    If your looking for NOC work try looking around Augusta, Georgia. It's right across the river from South Carolina. Fort Gordon operates several NOCs and the pay is greatly disproportionate against the very low cost of living in Augusta. You'd be hard pressed to find IT positions for under 40K at Gordon, with most averaging between 50 to 60K.

Thanks for the tip. I'll add them places to the search scope.

• CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you guys are really serious about looking to the south...you should look in to raleigh...the whole raleigh durham area is booming right now with a population that is growing faster than even charlotte plus they are a big area for IT. were as in charlotte cause of the recession its become a lot harder to find a job in IT cause the market is flooded, before i got the job i have now i was seriously thinking about moving from charlotte to raleigh
    Countryboi wrote: »
    if you guys are really serious about looking to the south...you should look in to raleigh...the whole raleigh durham area is booming right now with a population that is growing faster than even charlotte plus they are a big area for IT. were as in charlotte cause of the recession its become a lot harder to find a job in IT cause the market is flooded, before i got the job i have now i was seriously thinking about moving from charlotte to raleigh

Im moving from the UK so I'll go where ever will take me. Id really like Greenville most though with Columbia second. But always willing to any place that will take me.

Just to update people on this (if anyone cares). I went to a meeting for funding to get schooling in SC I can get funded to go so I might be over there for school instead :D But will still look for work.